Borderline Personality Disorder(BPD) and Full Time Work

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Slothbear, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slothbear

Slothbear Well-Known Member

Does anyone here with BPD work full time? or even BPD and Bipolar. Just wondering how you manage and how successful others are. Thanks.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

There are many who have this illness that function well hun on medication and with therapy i hope you can get support you need to help you in your work place
  3. SadBk

SadBk Well-Known Member

I do. I was only recently diagnosed so I'm still "doing my homework," reading about BPD...and I may have a less severe case of it than many? There are some traits that describe me perfectly and some that don't describe me at all, and the job thing is one that puzzled me. Lots of sources say that people with BPD have difficulty keeping a job... I've worked for the same company for 13 years. This book I'm reading now did say that as well, but also said sometimes borderliners will stay in the same "underpaid job with no room for advancement" to avoid the stress of change. I don't consider myself underpaid, but it's dead-end, definitely. I could only advance if I have a degree. I dropped out of college because I couldn't handle the stress and having to make decisions about the future. I have no desire to get a degree OR a more stressful job, so I stay where I'm comfortable. There are a lot of caring people in my office and if I have an emotional outburst or a day where I can't stop crying, people are sympathetic and no one thinks that I'm such a mess that I can't do my job or anything like that. I've also made sure everyone thinks I'm sweet and nice so even though I don't "fit in," per se, I don't cause any trouble and don't have any enemies.

If I lose my job, I will kill myself. There's no way I could get another one like this and no way I'm going to be a financial burden to anyone, and lose my independence. Ugh. I definitely feel for you if you're having difficulty with this.
  4. wdicwg

wdicwg Member

I know its been a couple of weeks since this thread was started but I have just logged in after being gone for a while. I was diagnosed with BPD in December and have been working full time since February. From May to February I was unemployed after graduating from college, and for me the BPD was worse during the period I was unemployed. Looking back on things I have had BPD long before graduation, but it was graduation and some physical heal problems where what really brought it to the surface. I have found for me that not being employed or being in school actually makes me worse, and even on weekends I'm not as good as on days I have worked. Something about the lack of a structured day makes my emotions that much harder to handle. Like on Mondays (and even other days) I know work will be stressful, but it is somehow easier to handle since I knew before hand that it would be stressful. If something crazy and unexpected happens at work (it has only happened twice) then I do have a harder time handling it, and I have to focus on the skills I've learned during DBT (I started in January, and I'm currently on my second round). And in reference to the stressfulness and such of the job it is a fairly stressful job (to anyone) in the design feild, with pay that is ok for entry level, and advancement would be possible down the road.

So I think it kinda depends on you and the job more than anything else. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else. But I say try it and see, because there is really no way to know if you don't. And if you haven't taken or looked into DBT I defiantly recommend it.
  5. LexiRN

LexiRN Active Member

I know this is an old thread but as I just found out I had been diagnosed as borderline has me upset. I guess I do fit the description, but I had only seen the doc who diagnosed me twice, not my regular shrink. I have been employed since way back in high school and have been a RN BSN for over a decade working now. I have always been in some form of neonatal or pediatric medicine. I guess one can have BPD and work just fine. Not sure if that is unlike the disorder or not. I have never had issues at work, have always been a nurse, and will probably work until I am too old to walk.
  6. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I could never hold a job when I suffered from that illness. I don't suffer from it any longer but now I am a mother of three so I don't have time to do anything else. I am also interested in how others who suffer this illness is able to hold down a job. Bpd cost me jobs, relationships, and happiness in any form. HalleluYah it's gone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.