Breaking fast?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

This seems like the right section, not entirely sure...

I'm going to finish off a 36 hour fast in a few hours, and I'm wondering the best way to get back on food.

Any advice?

2. triggs

triggs Account Closed

it depends what sort of fast
    water fast?
    juice fast?

if it's a water fast, you should easer yourself onto raw/unprocessed/preferably organic vegetables ideally.. don't eat too fast either. your body is going to want to binge but you have to stick it out and do this properly otherwise you can really hurt your body and the weight you lost during the fast will just pile back on.
    drink milk or water, stay away from acidic foods like fruit and fruit juices.
    really, for every 3 day fast you should do one whole day of fast recovery, so throughout the next 24 hours (when not asleep) be aware that you need to slowly introduce food back into your diet.
    i'd say raw veggies and a glass of milk/water
    then soups and juices a while later
    try and leave it til the next day to eat any heavy foods like bread/pasta/potato/rice..
    try to stick to small quantities

enough advice for you? :tongue:
    xx

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

36 hours is a day and a half, not 3 days, so it should be quite a bit less severe, and I consumed no calories during it. I think I got the gist, though... Start slowly and carefully.

And I've been staring at those donuts on my desk the whole time, guess that's a tomorrow thing D:

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

An hour left. I think I could've done more if I planned it longer, but at the moment there's no chance I'm extending it.

5. triggs

triggs Account Closed

i know it's just the general short-term fast is 3 days so i was relating it to your 36 hour fast.. it's cool though, fasting gives your body a time out and time to relax and cleanse itself, so any time is good for fasting as long as you break it properly :) xx

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I'm going to do this again sometime. It felt.. not that bad.

7. triggs

triggs Account Closed

:) i'm glad it went well for you
    most people have premisconceptions when it comes to fasts - but they're actually really good for you now and then, and can help in all sorts of ways :smile:
    it's also important to ease yourself into a fast aswell as breaking it properly too, just in case you didn't already know :) xx

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh my god, it's so delicious! OM NOM NOM!

[And no, I did not know you needed to ease yourself into it. I just stopped eating.]

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh jeeze, I've never been so thirsty in my life. Is this normal? I don't believe I'm exaggerating to say I've drank a gallon of water tonight... My water bottle holds 0.6 quarts and I've been refilling and draining it tons.

10. triggs

triggs Account Closed

have you not been drinking throughout your fast? it's very important you drink lots of water, and if you hadn't drunk anything during the 36 hours you're bound to be really thirsty. food also contains a lot of the water you intake per day anyway so that could also be why.
    xx

11. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

i always break my (water only) fasts on v8 or soup. dont eat too much, it'll hurt.

Nila-Rose

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I had been drinking water during the fast, I thought sufficient amounts... Maybe not. Weird.

Anyhow, I successfully broke the fast, even got to eat a donut last night ^_^

However, I actually counted the calories, I only ate about 1800 calories last night... I hope I usually eat more than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.