Breakthrough Psychosis

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Butterfly, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Does anybody get this randomly??? I feel okay, but I was on the bus earlier I just had voices screaming stuff out loud. Some not very nice things about other people. It wasn't hugely distressing but it was a bit out of the blue.
  2. Citizen Insane

Citizen Insane Chat Pro SF Author SF Supporter

Hey Butterfly,

Sorry for the late response, I only saw this thread just now. :eek: :)

Though I'm mostly familiar with just "Psychotic Disorder NOS", but I do know how they can start seemingly out of nowhere and continue to develop as well.

Could it be that you may have had quite a bad week or multiple days in a row where the level of stress wouldn't drop easily?

Though if you say you're fine, then something else is going on... Stress and anxiety/fears can be quite a big trigger. Speaking for myself, I still get psychotic symptoms even with the best working medication that I'm using now. As in, even when just doing seemingly normal activities like what you described: "Just being in the bus".

How to explain this is not easy, but once a brain has endured a psychosis, then even with medication, the brain will sometimes make connections that make no sense at all. Personal example: I was reading a book earlier today, and after reading a chapter or 3 my brain started associating things heavily. I had very agressive thoughts, about people, that I prefer not to describe just yet. I can ask myself: What exactly did I do? I was reading a book as planned, with music in the background and a cup of tea. Seems normal, but underneath that layer, the mind is always active.

It tries to make the same connections as it once did during the psychosis. It learned how to make horrible images/visualizations in mind appear (for you it could be the voices). Once it has learned that, it can return from time to time, but it doesn't mean that you're 100% in psychosis. It's more likely to be a remnant or scar of what you once endured.
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

The only thing I can think of is starting my new job. Last week I was feeling fine albeit a bit numb but I've since started having paranoid delusions. I think they would be a lot worse if I was not already on medication.
  4. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

I hope you feel better Lexi,