bullshit motivation images!

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
I have never seen someone post "I have a mental illness and that motivational image cured me" Speaking from experience, many who have serious mental illness are not looking at the flood of messages that appear to be aimed at ending mental illness purely by being motivated or positive. When I have seen the same images going round and round, I switch off. I know what has helped me recently: * Being listened to without wanting to rescue me or cure my problems. * Being asked what I would like to do. * Being encouraged to take action. * Accepting my boundaries. * Not putting a belief system onto me. * Being supported offline and in person. I accept that I have been previously caught up in the "Motivational" phenomenon and a desire to be there for many others and not myself. So, whilst I appreciate the "tomorrows another day" and "it could be worse" I don't require your motivation, give it to yourself.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Must admit I too have a hatred of "motivational quotes". You see them posted all over Facebook by people who really don't understand. The one I really hate is "It's okay to not be okay." No, it's not fucking okay. "Okay" is the minimum level we should accept so anything less than that is definitely NOT okay.

But I guess others do find it helpful. Each to their own. If it helps them, that's great.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I'm personally not a fan of platitude and cliches. They often are not relevant or helpful to the situation. I have mixed feeling about the "It's okay to not be okay". It depends on the situation and the meaning behind it. For example, when I'm in a spiral and feel like nothing I do is right and nothing about me is right and everything is wrong and I'm not good enough and I make too many mistakes and ... you see where I'm going here. If my friend says to me, "It's okay to not be okay, it's okay to not be perfect". I don't hear them saying, "It's okay that your life is fucked right now". I hear them saying "It's okay that you don't have all your shit together, because you don't need to". So, if it's flippantly thrown out that and meant as it's okay that things are a disaster, then yeah I'm not down with that. People can mean different things, which is a reminder to me to be more clear about what I mean when I use a more common phrase.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00