Calling All Soulmates!

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by CGMAngel, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Just wondering. Does anyone else out there ever feel:

1) They were literally dropped off on the wrong planet, that they don't understand anything about the world and the world doesn't understand anything about them?
    2) Everyone is staring at them and judging them?
    3) The slightest noise is deafening and they can only find solace and comfort in a dark, quiet room?
    4) They are totally afraid of EVERYONE?
    5) Their mental illness has so sapped all their energy that even just talking and engaging in conversation with someone simply takes too much energy?
    6) Their anxiety won't allow them to relax and have fun even for a second?
    7) They sabotage any chance of happiness because they believe their sole purpose of existence is to be punished and to suffer?
    8) There must be something wrong with a world in which selfishness and self-centeredness are often rewarded more than selfLESSness and thoughtfulness?

I could keep going with this list for about the next 20 years. But I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I am not the only one among seven billion who faces such demons every second of every single day!

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You are most definitely not alone. I feel many of these things on a daily basis, but with the help of my psychiatrist and medications, these demons have lessened. If they can get easier for me I am sure they can get easier for others too! But I agree, when you're constantly facing these battles/demons it is very frustrating and you just want a quick fix but unfortunately there isn't a quick fix. :hug: to you .. as I said, remember you are NOT alone!! :) :) hugs x
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Highly sensitive we are hun that is what the doc says i find being able to talk to someone helps that you trust. Glad you are reaching out here hun hugs
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Wow I feel just like everything you described! So you definitely aren't alone in feeling this way. If you need someone to talk to or something, feel free to talk to me anytime :)
  5. Emerald Hyperion

Emerald Hyperion Not So Well-Known Member

I can easily say a big YES to all eight points you mentioned. That is how I've been feeling every single day for the past 15+ years. No matter how much older I become, I realize that while I'm changing, everything else around me stays exactly the same. I feel like I'm trapped in a repetitive existence that just doesn't end. Its ridiculous, to say the least.
  6. RumoursOfMyDemise

RumoursOfMyDemise Well-Known Member

Apart from #3, I can relate to everything you've written. So no, you're definitely not alone.
  7. 3.141592654

3.141592654 Well-Known Member

8. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

A quote from C.S. Lewis on my Facebook today: "If you have desires that nothing in this world can satisfy, the only possible explanation is that you were made for another world" - you are by no means alone!!
  9. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I've always felt that way. I feel like I was not made for this world and am just observing.
  10. youRprecious!

I've been listening to Thomas Merton (recorded mid 1960's) who left the world by entering a monastery - discovering his spiritual path - and is talking about this pheomenon - that "if you're hooked up to a meaningless world (and are able to adjust well to it) - well then, where're you gonna be?"

It's actually an invitation to discover the real meaning of life, without compulsion and with compassion. A new way of thinking which does promise to make sense and from which we can integrate the stuff of life which does seem, ultimately, meaningless :) We don't need to go into a monastery to accomplish this - but I do so twice a year for a few days to get my bearings, it really helps :)
  11. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I love Thomas Merton. A lot of people don't think like me. I'm not saying I'm smarter, but I think differently and over think everything, I've never wanted to live life just to live it, you know? I'm not sure what my goals are, or what I want to do. But I do know what kind of a person I want to be. I dont want to live in a monastery, but I do want to be like those monks in some sort of sense. The way they have compassion and love. I want to be able love and forgive unconditionally, I want to fight my own evil and comfort as many as I can. There is so much darkness n the world, I want to just bring a little light in the world. I'm not talking about the noble peace prize or anything. I just talking about me on my everyday life with only peace and love in his heart. I hope this is not a meaningless goal, sometimes I wonder if it is, and Mabye life is just about loveless sex, money, and getting want you want, but I can't live in that world, if that makes me worthless - then so be it, but I'd rather be hated my others and looked down upon by others then look down upon by myself. End of rant.
  12. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Its hard when people do not fit in to the common regular mainstream as it exists today. It does not make you defective. Total Eclipse talked about highly sensitive people. Perhaps you can read about HSPs.

But it does, imo, go beyond that. It is hard for many to live in a world, as you described that is more self cetered than focused on what can be given. I would not want to be selfless. Because that would be without a self. And I do think the most efficent way to give is to first be full and then give from the overflow. Having saiid that, this is usually not possible. But giving is one of the most important reminders of, and connection to, the part of ourselves that is our light. And it is what is missing from so many societys in our world today.

Its hard for those who long for that balance. Especially for HSPs highly sensitive people. When there was, especially in childhood, hurt and great bruising done to a person who is hsp, the results can be very damaging. Perhaps you would be interested in reading about it. I have a small very inadiquite library. But it did have this book in it. "the highly sensitive person" By Elaine Aron. You also can read online about it, if you are interested.
  13. youRprecious!

Hey, if that is a rant, it is a WONDERFUL rant, lol!! Your goal is certainly NOT a meaningless goal, it is actually what we've been put on this earth to do, and find the deep inner meaning of things. Society, over the centuries has culminated in how it is now of course - and our media give the impression that getting what you want is the name of the game - so it's society that is dysfunctional and not we ourselves! Understanding this helps us to detach ourselves from what we increasingly come to see as being ultimately worthless. If you like Thomas Merton, listening to :The Voice of Thomas Merton on Self Actualization" (google Credence Communications) is MASSIVE on this - he taught on it in the 1960's - and it's just as insightful if not more so for today :)
  14. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it must seems to a lot of people life is, sex, money, and drinking. I also hate it when people say the meaning of life is reproduction, I mean what the hell? It makes me made cause I'm a celibate virgin and I don't think sex is bad or anything but there so much more to life then sex, and that's not a theory or an opinion - I and many others have discovered it. look at newton, tesla, dali lama, and many many more. Im not a buddhist, but there so much truth to suffering due to desire. also the media is one if the worst things there is. I was watching the news and they were talking about that ex Cop who killed all those people, and the reporters were camping outside his mothers house, if she hasn't already been through enough. Btw ill try to find those Merton recordings, and read that hsp people book. I need to deal with my sensitivity. I also took the Carl Jung test and got infj, so I think sensitivity comes with the territory.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
  15. youRprecious!

That's great dv - you are extremely insightful and searching for your peace, which is marvellous. Those who seek, find :) Reproduction is a function of our life, but it is not compulsory by any means! It certainly is not the be all and end all to life, because after children leave home and move great distances, if your life revolves around them - what then? But these feelings of emptiness and confusion and other negative-sounding feelings can be harnessed, as they are there to offer us opportunities. I am ENFP on Myers-Briggs - and finding this out really helped with the self-awareness and answered a lot of questions, as my husband is the opposite ISTJ - which did explain a lot of things :)
  16. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

My mind has always been tormented, I think Maybe I need to dedicate myself to mastering my mind, thoughts, and desires. Those things have always been my downfall. Like I said though, I know what kind of person I want to be, everything thing else like money, possible romantic relationships are really secondary and not too important. And don't confuse that with me not having desires - I do, but they tend to control me too much, so thats why I want conquer it, same with all my thoughts. I feel that my sensitivity can destroy me or make me better, but the choice is mine. I get real discouraged becuase of my setbacks with neurosis and lack of self-control.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  17. youRprecious!

Is it just me, my computer, or has the format for replying to threads changed? I just need to post this to check it out......
  18. youRprecious!

Well, that was weird, we appear to be back to normal.......
  19. youRprecious!

Not quite..... that was not meant to get submitted when it did. Let's start again!

I understand about having a tormented mind dv....... Sometimes we need help from a trusted source outside of ourselves to bring enlightenment and understanding as to why this is, in order for us to find a path to rise above it. It has been my life's quest also. I am sure we are not alone. We have the gift of sensitivity which will guide us to overcome what we think of as a handicap - into the way of peace and acceptance.

As St. Augustine put it: I believe in order to understand, and I understand the better to believe.

It is a progressive journey dv - "precept upon precept" out of the dark and the torment. I am here in the hope of being able to help to lessen the discouragement, because I've surfaced, by the grace of God, the things which had set me back, as you say. Or rather, I should say, I am surfacing them - but I'm OK with it all now because understanding brings healing.

We cannot help the thoughts which enter our minds, but we can choose what we do about them, and seeking ways to overcome is our victory :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.