Can't everyone see that this (see below) is useless advice

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ldub20, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

Telling me to learn to live with being alone, struggling to find a GF, struggling socially, and always being socially inept. You might as well tell me to kill myself if you tell me to learn to accept that being alone is not as bad as I think it is.
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My advice would never be to learn to live with being alone, struggling, etc. My advice is the opposite: Learn to create a plan with goals and objectives. Set those goals realistically, and with milestones along the way that you can measure. When not meeting milestones, adjust tactics or create a fully new paradigm to compensate and to keep on track with the bigger picture. Don't learn to live alone and don't struggle. Work on overcoming by planning and executing positive goals geared toward wellness.
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I would never tell someone that! We all need to socialize in our lives even when we think not. Sometimes just being in a crowd listening is good for the mind and soul.

Do you have any help from a professional? Because I have social phobias and meds help a lot...I mean there was a lot I couldn't do before the meds that now I can sort of do....also talking with someone who understands helps a lot...have you tried a hobby where you can meet up with people? like an art class, or even going to coffee shops, to comic books shop etc could help with meeting new people...

going on a forum with stuff you enjoy could help, you go on there, share your passions and others respond, perhaps you can meet someone there that lives near you and you can hang out with???
  4. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

At least you two agree with me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.