Can't get a job, feeling hopeless

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Lizann, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Lizann

Lizann New Member

I've been job searching for nearly four months now. I continue to get interviews nearly every week, but I cannot land a job. I'm starting to feel like I'm just not good enough. I'm also feeling the pressure from my families. I've had anxiety & depression for years, but I feel like I'm getting too close to the edge.

Tomorrow I find out whether I get this one job or not. I'm so scared of not getting it that I almost don't even want to live another day.

I tried to consult with my boyfriend of 4 years about my latest stress/anxiety but he says it's too much for him. He told me to just get over it. I feel so lonely.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

So easy for others to say that and it belittles us a lot and make our feelings feel like they are not validated. I am sorry you have come to such a low point in your life but things can get better. Welcome to the forum by the way, I am also lonely so if you want someone to talk to you can talk to me :) Please do live another day, it could be the day you land your dream job, hope is what keeps me going and making peace with the past and myself. I'm sorry your boyfriend was not understanding, I hope things improve for you and remember you are not alone in this battle!
  3. BlueBlue

BlueBlue Active Member

Its So awful waiting to hear back isn't it?!

I didn't get a job I was waiting to hear back from today. I cried a bit. It is bloody depressing.

Such a lot of energy and anxiety and then it all feels like it's for nothing.

Is there any news about todays job?

Any feedback from the ones before?

It is so difficult are you making sure you're looking after yourself? Treating yourself, giving yourself breaks etc?
  4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I am sort that your hurting but we are here to help you in your struggle. We understand what you are going through but try to stay strong.
  5. moxman

moxman I am proud to call Rosie, my best friend =) Forum Pro

Hi Lizann, I am Mox

Thank you for joining us at SF and sharing your story. The more you share, the more we can help you. So don't be shy. I invite you to read my personal story in green. Just know you are not alone in your pain and suffering. When you are here, you are among friends. No one will make fun of you or ridicule you; that BS is not tolerated here.

I hate to hear that you are having such a hard time finding a job. I know firsthand, how challenging it can be.

Do you have friends you can lean on for emotional support?

How can we help you best?

Take Care
  6. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hiya Lizann and welcome to SF. So sorry to learn of the problems you are having finding a job. I know BlueBlue is having similar problems so you two can compare notes. I have been out of work a couple of times in my own working life and both times it took me considerably longer than 4 months to find a new job. Its just the same as mental health issues, you need patience because nothing happens overnight.

You say you have had anxiety and depression for years now, are you on medication at all to help your fight with those two little feckers? Have you had any therapy now or in the past?
  7. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Lizann, keep looking for the work. I was depressed about not finding work and depressed about going back to work it that makes sense. I found a job after about 6 months which was surprising to say the least because I felt the depression was showing way to much on the outside.
    Having the new job has helped with keeping the depression at bay and I have tried to not to get to worked up about when I mess up. I just tell them it is my age when I do. Things will get better with time as they say.
    I still fight with the anxiety and depression but not so much during the work week, nights/weekends it shows its ugly head.
  8. EmptyFeeling

EmptyFeeling New Member

I wish you luck in your job search Lizann! Praying that you received good news on Friday about that job!

I know how you feel - I left the workforce almost two years ago as my boss was making life absolutely unbearable. Since then I have started my own coffee shop (which is not doing so well so the stress there is unreal as most of our savings are now gone) and have looked for full time employment with no success. Like MPK my age doesn't help (I'm just about 50) and my experience puts me in the executive level of which there is nothing out there! And my wife of 18 years is like your boyfriend in that they don't want to hear about the struggles and demons we face every day. Most days I sit on the porch and just stare out into the distance (neighbors must think I'm a real nut case).
  9. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

It is hard with job hunting, I was there at the beginning of the year. Never lose hope. Keep strong, because while it's disheartening to keep facing rejections, it won't be long and you'll have that offer you are looking for, and the wait will be worth it. Anxiety and depression are two awful companions, even more so with job hunting, remember, congratulate yourself for successfully getting out and attending those interviews. Being able to go out and attend, through depression takes a lot, but takes an awful lot more when you get rejected as well. Well done.

You're getting there, even if it feels like you're not making progress.
  10. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Keep plugging along. Looking for work while depressed sure does stink as others said. It is hard to keep a happy face.