Completing schoolwork when depressed and anxious

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Jackie's Strength, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

Hi all,

I have a ton of overdue work I need to get done, and I'm having terrible difficulty with it. I don't think the med I'm on is helping any, since I think it's just increasing my anxiety level and making me super jittery (I can't stop moving my legs!). So my question to you is... have you ever successfully worked through significant depression and/or anxiety and if so, how did you manage to do it? I will try just about anything! The only thing I can't afford to do much of right now is to take long breaks. Hoping for some suggestions!
  2. kangaroo2

kangaroo2 Active Member

Many times. After enough times of working and volunteering with high anxiety, I gradually learned to function in spite of it. I acknowledge to myself that the anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts are there, but that I should complete whatever I am doing and deal with my mental state later. With enough practice, it will get easier to put anxiety on the shelf.

Also learn to take things gradually. Learning to focus on one task at a time is another skill that takes practice.

I would also try deep-breathing exercises. While it's not a cure, it can dull the symptoms of anxiety and help you stay in the present moment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.