Compulsive eating disorder??

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by flowers, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi
    I belong to another community that has an eating disorder area. One of the sub catagories of the eating disorder area of the forums is called Compulsive eating disorder. While I have both sides of the ED coin, the greatest pain is the compulsive eating part of it. So perhaps there are people who also struggle with this. For me it is very painful. I wake up to it. And it is with me until I fall asleep at night.

Perhaps other people would find it helpful to post about their issues with compulsive eating. I do everything in my power to keep the eating in check. But believe me when I say that keeping it in check is painful, exhausting and all consuming.

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I know the result whenver I start a thread at sf. No one answers. And yet I did it again. Not too smart.

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I do compulsive eating, binging and I know it has to do with my emotions and stress level. I've only recently started to work on it, I think I was in denial for the longest time. But it makes me feel so aweful to eat eat eat. It's like no matter what I eat I feel I could eat forever....

sorry I didn't see this post before...some areas of the forum are slower than others. So please don't give up. Others will post eventually...

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I eat when i get triggered and feel that pain i need to somehow take it away and sometime i just eat and eat junk food i know i should not eat The i get more physical pain for eating it
    I know it is hard hun but hopefully in time we will learn to not turn to food for comfort but use other coping skills to help us deal with the pain

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Sorry you two have problems with this. And thank you for posting. The pain of this, for me is so great. I am sorry it is for you two also.

my new thing is eating a lot of cheese at 5:30 in the morning. And I do mean a lot of it. I will have to give my cheese away. Because this cannot happen. I do not mind eating cheese at a normal hour. But because I cannot get to sleep, I end up eating cheese. This morning I woke up and started thinking of who I can give my cheese to. Because this just cannot happen a third day.

I do not have foods in my home that I love. I cant do it. They would be gone in a second. I have to do the abstainence thing.

6. morning rush

I had to give up cheese too. Because I eat the whole thing. It's pretty bad...so now I don't buy cheese anymore. Also I stop drinking dark soda, because I drank so much..and recently I started drinking it again, not as much as before but still...and I feel so bad afterwards...I hate having no willpower.

7. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I know what you mean re the willpower. I am not sure that its willpower or something closer to addiction. Either way its sad. Because you cant have dark soda in the hoouse and just drink it like many other people could. And I understand that only too well.

After the second meal of cheese today ( probably 8 ounces of the stuff) I drove my stash over to someones home. I told her she could eat it if she wanted. But I would like to make withdrawals twice a week from what is there. So there it resides in her freezer. Nicely grated and in baggies measured out by weight. I told her I would be back on Saturday to make a withdrawal. I feel so much better having purged my home. knowing I do not have to worry about 5:30 in the morning. My friend offered me the key to her home. But then she thougt it might defeat the purpose. I reassured her that if I had a key I would not be using it at 5:30AM :D Plus she lives 10 minutes away by car. So its all good. Compulsive eating disorders are so painful.

8. total eclipse

good for you hun getting your friend to hold you cheese for you I tend to now just not buy the food i have no things in my house that i could just big out on I usually buy stuff i know i hate If i had chocolate or pepsi i would sit down and take them all not a good scene
    Hope now hun you can enjoy some of your cheese and not feel guilty about eating it hugs

9. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Thanks, V. I usually keep my home free of all things that would tempt me. My home will never see a potato chip lol. But the cheese thing was going perfectly with the grated romano. Its when I added the seriously sharp cheddar which is very gooey when melted that I fell off that wagon. I feel relieved to have it out of my house. Its great that you can control what you have in your home. Thats the way to do it when possible. I cannot imagine living in a house with bread, snacking chips, etc.I cannot imagine living in a home where cookies and chips and other things had to be. If young kids or whomever wanted them. I would be in higher plus sizes. My chocolate is in the form of cocoa powder and water. I can do wonders with it.

10. total eclipse

I don't like the fact easter is coming and yes there will be chocolate bunnies here yikes lol not for long though i have no will power w hen it comes to chocolate

11. flowers

flowers Senior Member

V, I hear ya. I remember one halloween. After all the people finished trick or treating, I got in my car and drove my candy to the police station. They thought I was nuts. But I had to get rid of it. And didnt know where else to bring it at that hour. i told them to give it away. So, I completely understand about those chocolate thumpers :( just how far do you live from a police station?

But seriously, its one of those times that maybe you can make peace with the fact that you will eat chocolate. unless it would cause actual physical harm to you. Do you have anyone who could hold the candy for you until Easter? A friend or relative who could keep it at their house and not eat any of it?

i remember one year my kids sent me candy and cookies even though I asked them not to. It hurt their feelings to not send it to me. and so they did. I packed it up in air tight tins and got on a ladder putting it way high in the garage. I suppose I got a bit of exercise every time I climbed the ladder to get the candy and cookies. Other than that there was little benefit to the whole process.

12. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

I have had a problem with compulsive eating. It has been especially a problem with sweet things because I am now diabetic, but occasionally I have been so triggered emotionally that I have still eaten a load of chocolate even though I know it could be very damaging. The thing is that I am a higher plus size, partly through medication side-effects, but partly through overeating. When I did lose a couple of stone I got so upset by the loose skin on my body that I started eating again. Basically, unless I win the lottery or come into some kind of inheritance, I will not be able to afford cosmetic surgery to fix my skin and the odd places where I've put on weight, so my self-esteem is very low and this contributes to me wanting to eat again.

With cheese, I only go to the cheese counter now in the supermarket rather than the prepackaged aisle and get them to cut off a very small piece at a time and take that home as I know that otherwise I will eat too much. I also have a problem with yoghurt. I usually shop daily so that I can just buy what I'll eat that day or the next day.

At one time I wondered if all this is due to some kind of parasite in the gut??

13. morning rush

maybe next time ask them to send you something healthy or a stuff easter toy :) that way, it's a win win situation :)

14. morning rush

I know what you mean, I don't have the money to fix my body with surgery...I was offered the stomach band thing but I refused...so now I'm trying to lose weight with exercise and counting calories...but the binging doesn't help...and the meds ( a lot of them) open up your hunger..sigh...

15. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I really hear ya. My skin is sort of like a shar-pei, lol. But its okay. I have made peace with it. I would never want surgery for it. I resolved the chocolate problem with a recipe I came up with. I put good quality cocoa powder in a pan with some water and kal stevia powder and salt and vanilla. I cook it to hydrate the powder. I let it sit. Thats my chocolate syrup. I can make 2 cups of it to keep on hand. With the kind of cocoa powder i use, i put in 2/3 of cocoa per 2 cups of water. I use it in two ways. The easiest way is to use with almond milk for hot chocolate. i use blue diamond almond breeze 30 in the refrigerated section of the sstore. It comes in half gallon containers. It is so low in fat, carbs and calories. 30 calories per cup. Re buying just enough cheese, I am glad you were able to find a way that works for you. The only cheese i can get by the ounce is not strong enough for me. its at the deli counter at the grocery store. they will cut 2 ounces. But its just regular cheddar. I like much more sharp than that !!

I have a much more complicated recipe that I also use the chocolate syrup in. But thats a whole other story. Suffice to say it takes care of the chocolate craving. While not spiking my sugar levels. And not overloading the carbs. I personally have great luck dieting when i watch both calories and carbs. But i have avoided all sugars for 4 1/2 years.

Being on medications that increase appetite makes things so difficult. Its really a trade off. If the medications are even marginally helpful then its just what has to be. As you know.

Meds can be such a huge challenge for weight control. Do you also pay attention to carbs? i think its a very painful condition to have. i am fully relizing that I wake up very late in the day so I do not have to face the food issues early in the day. So this food addiction is really effecting my daily life in some very destructive ways. Waking up at noon. Or even later so I do not have to figure out how I am going to navagate that many hours until lunch and dinner.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  16. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Today i went to Costco. They had more samples than usual. Normally my costco does not have too much when it comes to samples. Probably because there is no competition. Having said that, the guacamole was great. They had an amazing italizn hard cheese. The spinach dip was very good. I do not eat sweet things. So I do not know how the brownie was. There was fried fish and 1/2 of an Hors d'oeuvre size spanakapita, 1/2 of a ravioli and a few more things. The good thing about samples is that they are zero calories. Well, even I could not justify the cheese potatos being zero calories. Now I can feel guilty for eating it all. Well, most things twice. I would like to justify it as saying the samples were lunch. But this would be inacurate. There was lunch later in the day. although it was only 270 calories. Going to get my low cal / carb frozen treat now. I do not think i would be able to diet without it. It is my diet aid :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  17. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Parking my cheese at someone elses home has really helped a lot. Because she lives 10 minutes away by car, and because she has out of town company this weekend, I am thinking I will not even bother to call her. I could get more cheese. But I honestly dont think I will. Especially with the deadline of having to be seen by my relatives in 12 days. Its great motivation to not eat cheese. And to keep the calorie count down 7 days a week

18. morning rush

I've decided to cut sodas for a few days, I can't be reasonable with them. I cut the dark ones a few months ago so I only drank a few but the white were kind of taking the dark ones' place...since it's easter I decided to buy myself chocolate...not too proud but I'll try and not eat it all in one day...also bought doritos...sigh...but I'm doing exercises and drinking lots of water so....

19. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I found that cutting out sugar ( sodas ) helped a lot. I would never drink diet soda. I think they are toxic. Just my own opinion. Some people I do respect drink them. I do not. The only sweetner I use is stevia from a health food store. I hope you enjoy that chocolate !! :) :) I hope you can eat it with great enjoyment. Savoring each bite. You deserve this pleasure

20. flowers

flowers Senior Member

my body felt like I had to feed it more carbs right now. I do not believe that the body needs as many carbs as most people say it needs. But I do not think I was giving it enough to run on. So I decided i would eat some quiona. Healthy. Instead I bought two 100 calorie little bags of pop chips. They are healthy but taste good. Opps,, after those bags I bought 2 more. now I am feeling like I will gain weight from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.