• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Confused

Leesa

Well-Known Member
#1
I have a therapist I really like. I think she's really the only one who has listened and heard me in the 30 years I've gone to therapy.

Things have been getting worse in my life and she can see it. (I'm not exaggerating.) This past week she asked me to check in every day because she was afraid for my safety. So, each day I promised I was *physically* safe. I was shut down and could not speak but each day I would send a quick text or email just saying I was checking in and would check in the following day. I feared if I didn't she would be concerned and send the police.

Today at the start of our session she asked if I wanted to stop therapy. This caught me off guard. I think she does realize that she can't help me but there isn't anyone that can. That's been established over the past 30 years. I'm very confused.

She emailed me a list of resources and this forum was one of them
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#2
I have a therapist I really like. I think she's really the only one who has listened and heard me in the 30 years I've gone to therapy.

Things have been getting worse in my life and she can see it. (I'm not exaggerating.) This past week she asked me to check in every day because she was afraid for my safety. So, each day I promised I was *physically* safe. I was shut down and could not speak but each day I would send a quick text or email just saying I was checking in and would check in the following day. I feared if I didn't she would be concerned and send the police.

Today at the start of our session she asked if I wanted to stop therapy. This caught me off guard. I think she does realize that she can't help me but there isn't anyone that can. That's been established over the past 30 years. I'm very confused.

She emailed me a list of resources and this forum was one of them
Hey could be a number of reasons for this, I suppose. . . I'm sorry this decision was rendered, or at least put & pressed to your attention now, as it may have been a situation where she felt uncomfortable with the level of care now being required (round the clock "watch," for lack of a better way of saying it...) & many therapist, I have found, will drop a client - or look to get them services elsewhere, once the stage of planning & such has progressed beyond the mere, not so much infancy stages of course, but more... as in (going from on the ideation scale or front) 'passive,' to more 'active.'

As they then feel their hands are tied, and the weapons (here again probably a poor choice of...) at their disposal seem minimal, from a resource or any other reasonable standpoint tool(s)-wise. And so, therefore then, they often prefer to I guess you might say: "Pass the buck." In my mind it is up to you how you'd want to play this now.

Or how you'd like to see things transpire, from here. Should you wish want & desire to keep her, in your life for the professional help & support she can provide you with, as you've said, first one that's helped / worked in 30 years. So I mean - to me, anyway - this signifies something/or someone, should her mind not already be irreparably made-up; who is worth fighting for. Or over.

So you could present to her your feelings now, and how you have been navigating things, why you've done so (an over-abundance of trust towards her, perhaps?) that's led you to say & do, think/feel etc. the way you have with her as of late. And that you can do a better job (provided that you think you're capable) of being better--or acting more stable / & less (actively) suicidal.

In other words doing your best & what you can to remain in the passive phase, as it were. So as to keep &/or continue to have her "nerves calmed," & 'less fried.'

Sometimes, they can be delicate, sensitive souls, very unable to be I can't think or figure out how I'd want to phrase it, sorry! But they don't want this on their hands. That responsibility.

Which is another reason a lot of them, or many anyway, will run at the first sign of trouble (I'm actively now suicidal).

And I'm not necessarily talking about getting up to & being all of the way to full-blown crisis intervention stage, but just once it reaches the point where it seems inevitable, and that their methods or their techniques & their strategies and their tactics, have little practical and reasonable meaningful value for or to you. Most or many jump ship (here again, poor. . .)~*> Best wishes, and I hope it turns out the way you like!
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#3
While I know that this is now the way for some of them to operate (I don't honestly know how many?) to go ahead & "text/email - message me, somehow" throughout the day, in order to let me know if you're in trouble (serious) or just to keep me abreast of the situation - such as that you were more familiar with. But, I have known many in the business whom also feel that, it is unhealthy for them to 'bring their work home with them.' And so they will check all of that at the door, no matter who(m) or what - it is. Otherwise, I guess that they feel this would, or could consume them.

Realize, however, these were the conditions, terms & parameters that were set for her. And so you were just following her orders & instructions for you. Just trying to offer a reasonable possible explanation, for why she'd felt as she had over the last little while, or course of time, is all.
 

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
#4
I guess being a therapist is just a job like any other job too. And if you take it home with you - it's not good. I could imagine there is as well a kind of responsibility the therapist takes, when it comes to dangerous moments - like you are in. So from that point of view - I can understand the reaction - although it is tough. On the other side - if 30 years did not help you it's probably time to try something new. Here in this forum you will get a lot of good ideas - this I can promise you.

Courage. Life goes on. Welcome here.
 
#5
Today at the start of our session she asked if I wanted to stop therapy. This caught me off guard. I think she does realize that she can't help me but there isn't anyone that can.
It sounds like even though she can't keep things from getting worse, she's still an important source of support for you that you don't want to lose. I think it would be ok to communicate that to her.
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#6
I am so sorry about this especially after having seen her for such a long time. I am glad that she did recommend SF as this is an amazing supportive site, so encourage you to continue to post here.

I wondered if maybe talking with your therapist and/or your GP about the recommendations might be helpful. Although not the same, I did that with my therapist who had helped me through a very rough period but then when hit another serious patch I realized I needed something more. So, I spoke with my GP as well which in the end led to helpful options.

Sending you heartfelt *hugs.
 

Leesa

Well-Known Member
#7
I am so sorry about this especially after having seen her for such a long time. I am glad that she did recommend SF as this is an amazing supportive site, so encourage you to continue to post here.

I wondered if maybe talking with your therapist and/or your GP about the recommendations might be helpful. Although not the same, I did that with my therapist who had helped me through a very rough period but then when hit another serious patch I realized I needed something more. So, I spoke with my GP as well which in the end led to helpful options.

Sending you heartfelt *hugs.
I have mentioned I visit here in desperate times. I don't lurk when I'm not busy so in that way I feel selfish for not being a help to others. She said yesterday she was going to send me some information on resources she could find. This site was one of the resources; she didn't realize it was the same one.

She sent crisis line numbers (nope) suicide prevention forums (nope), and information regarding adult children of alcoholics. (Nope. )

I say no to all of those because I have tried those routes. I'm tired. Just the entire 'suicide prevention ' tag line upsets me. It seems to suggest I want help in preventing it. I would prefer someone hold my hand through everything and let me go peacefully.

While I know this site is to help those with suicidal thoughts, to offer support in preventing it, and has rules on what is/is not allowed (which I have come close to braking), it doesn't have that disclaimer of 'prevention'. Not everyone that is seeking support is trying to prevent it. I don't know if that makes sense.

My regular doctors have been worthless my entire life. I can't take antidepressants-- they don't work. They actually make me worse. That's really all they will do. Give me an Rx and tell me to go to a therapist.

Since my job has been eliminated I will potentially not have insurance in the near future. I have interviewed for my old job but haven't heard back yet and have an interview coming up for another position within the same company. Mind you, there are hundreds of us going for a handful of jobs. It's all about numbers, not about people.

I do need to talk to my therapist further but won't see her until Friday.
 

Leesa

Well-Known Member
#8
It sounds like even though she can't keep things from getting worse, she's still an important source of support for you that you don't want to lose. I think it would be ok to communicate that to her.
Thanks. I have. I told her I know she can't help me but I have no other support. I mean, I'm facing job loss now in addition to other things that weren't happening when I first met her 3 years ago. I've never been able to resolve anything I initially started therapy for because it has just grown and grown. Life goes on and things get harder.
 

Leesa

Well-Known Member
#9
While I know that this is now the way for some of them to operate (I don't honestly know how many?) to go ahead & "text/email - message me, somehow" throughout the day, in order to let me know if you're in trouble (serious) or just to keep me abreast of the situation - such as that you were more familiar with. But, I have known many in the business whom also feel that, it is unhealthy for them to 'bring their work home with them.' And so they will check all of that at the door, no matter who(m) or what - it is. Otherwise, I guess that they feel this would, or could consume them.

Realize, however, these were the conditions, terms & parameters that were set for her. And so you were just following her orders & instructions for you. Just trying to offer a reasonable possible explanation, for why she'd felt as she had over the last little while, or course of time, is all.
She prefers I call. I do not like the phone and there are days where I literally can't speak. She did say that I didn't do anything wrong, that she was glad and needed to know I was safe, but that she made an error on her part.

I told her I was confused and that it would take me a while to try and process what she was saying. I'm interpreting a lot that isn't intended. I think. I don't know. Hence the confusion.
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#10
She prefers I call. I do not like the phone and there are days where I literally can't speak. She did say that I didn't do anything wrong, that she was glad and needed to know I was safe, but that she made an error on her part.

I told her I was confused and that it would take me a while to try and process what she was saying. I'm interpreting a lot that isn't intended. I think. I don't know. Hence the confusion.
Got it. I would be confused too. Hopefully, she can provide you with a response in the future which will suffice...
Don't feel badly about participation, or lack-thereof on / or in the forum. We call get or give, what we can. So it is of no worry to the rest, for we all understand and know the nature. . .

I'm sorry that antidepressants aren't effective for you. And that therapy, as of yet, hasn't proven to have provided real, tangible & felt, or credible (as in measurable/meaningful) results. If you continue with her--at least you have someone you can trust... to talk to, which may be better than not at this point?

I hope that things can go well with you on securing another position from within your former company. That they're willing to consider you for further, future employment speaks of their respect for your work. I wish you the best of success with this, or any other alternative which you may find suitable.
I hope that you can make it to Friday safely.

And that your visit with your therapist goes as planned in terms of all you want to say and address, and likewise, her willingness and being able to be forthcoming with you, in providing adequate reasons for her suggestion to stop seeing her, beyond that which has already been explained, or given. Sometimes too, and please forgive me if I am repeating myself, but I get the feeling they will be the ones to hit the eject button before they see the end coming, or that it is near.

In other words, they will give you up, or abandon you (maybe that's a bit too strong?) they will request or recommend to drop you as their patient. For they would rather sever the ties & cut contact, losing the established relationship, and all of its good or worth (in this case) - in exchange for that blemish, or black mark or spot on their resume`.

I think, or feel, most will do whatever they have to avoid having this tally grow to be too high on their record. I could be wrong, and it is all honorable and completely in your best interest, and therefore beyond 100, 1000 % pro-fessional. In other words, bordering on that of an act of, "Altruism." But I don't know how many actually would realistically fall into/or under this category. Maybe yours is one of them?
 

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
#11
I have mentioned I visit here in desperate times. I don't lurk when I'm not busy so in that way I feel selfish for not being a help to others. She said yesterday she was going to send me some information on resources she could find. This site was one of the resources; she didn't realize it was the same one.

She sent crisis line numbers (nope) suicide prevention forums (nope), and information regarding adult children of alcoholics. (Nope. )

I say no to all of those because I have tried those routes. I'm tired. Just the entire 'suicide prevention ' tag line upsets me. It seems to suggest I want help in preventing it. I would prefer someone hold my hand through everything and let me go peacefully.

While I know this site is to help those with suicidal thoughts, to offer support in preventing it, and has rules on what is/is not allowed (which I have come close to braking), it doesn't have that disclaimer of 'prevention'. Not everyone that is seeking support is trying to prevent it. I don't know if that makes sense.

My regular doctors have been worthless my entire life. I can't take antidepressants-- they don't work. They actually make me worse. That's really all they will do. Give me an Rx and tell me to go to a therapist.

Since my job has been eliminated I will potentially not have insurance in the near future. I have interviewed for my old job but haven't heard back yet and have an interview coming up for another position within the same company. Mind you, there are hundreds of us going for a handful of jobs. It's all about numbers, not about people.

I do need to talk to my therapist further but won't see her until Friday.
I am glad that you will be able to talk with her this coming week as perhaps there is a possibility this can be a more of a gradual transition and she can offer additional (more helpful) resources.

I am sending positive thoughts, vibes & energy for your query regarding your previous job and your upcoming interview for another position. All digits are crossed for you!

Encourage you to keep posting and sending *hugs.
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#13
I'm realizing 'happiness' is not a feeling I understand. It's not that I didn't know this but I can't be happy for other people any longer. It's not in me. When I say I am happy for someone, I'm not being fully truthful.
Is this something that extends to other, or all areas as well, beyond that of just other people? Sorry if that was 'wordy!' Would you describe it as similar to anhedonia, for example?
 

Leesa

Well-Known Member
#14
Is this something that extends to other, or all areas as well, beyond that of just other people? Sorry if that was 'wordy!' Would you describe it as similar to anhedonia, for example?
I might have fleeting moments like I pet a dog, smell something nice, feel sunshine or a breeze. I think in general I feel relief. Like with Covid, my job was on the line but when I made the cut, I felt relief, not happiness. The same will happen if I can maintain employment now-- ie relief I will still have a home. But ultimate joy/happiness is unattainable. I think most of this is due to not having been able to really connect with people. I have a ton of acquaintances and I'm not disliked for the most part, but I am not a priority even when I put myself out there. I have never been invited to a ton of parties, but when I do go, I'm miserable. I am the person in the corner playing with a pet. Connection has certainly never worked in a romantic sense. i have felt if but it's always been unrequitedz so I feel disconnected from people and their experiences in that sense. I'm just sad.
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#15
I might have fleeting moments like I pet a dog, smell something nice, feel sunshine or a breeze. I think in general I feel relief. Like with Covid, my job was on the line but when I made the cut, I felt relief, not happiness. The same will happen if I can maintain employment now-- ie relief I will still have a home. But ultimate joy/happiness is unattainable. I think most of this is due to not having been able to really connect with people. I have a ton of acquaintances and I'm not disliked for the most part, but I am not a priority even when I put myself out there. I have never been invited to a ton of parties, but when I do go, I'm miserable. I am the person in the corner playing with a pet. Connection has certainly never worked in a romantic sense. i have felt if but it's always been unrequitedz so I feel disconnected from people and their experiences in that sense. I'm just sad.
H'mmm. . . Okay! Thanks for the info. That is very helpful, though I'm going to have to think on it for a bit, then come back later (if I can remember, not sure how to book mark posts, or even if we can?) then see if I have anything semi-decent to say, or worth saying. Only troubling to learn a bit more in-depth some of the layers to your circumstances. While on the surface level, they seem to be not so, or all that bad. Deeper, perhaps, maybe a bit more problematic, from a life-satisfaction standpoint, or point of view then, wouldn't you say?
 

Leesa

Well-Known Member
#16
H'mmm. . . Okay! Thanks for the info. That is very helpful, though I'm going to have to think on it for a bit, then come back later (if I can remember, not sure how to book mark posts, or even if we can?) then see if I have anything semi-decent to say, or worth saying. Only troubling to learn a bit more in-depth some of the layers to your circumstances. While on the surface level, they seem to be not so, or all that bad. Deeper, perhaps, maybe a bit more problematic, from a life-satisfaction standpoint, or poi
nt of view then, wouldn't you say?[/QUOTE

Much deeper which is why I've been in and out of therapy since 1991. Current therapist says I have PTSD.
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#17
So has this current therapist said or suggested you need to be seen by any other particular kind of therapist, then? Such as one (if they do indeed exist?) that specializes in PTSD - or, the like? I'm sorry... but I'm blanking on the traditional method of treatment for such. And even furthermore, you may be more than just a little well aware, I guess I don't really know (unless this is a more recent diagnosis, on her behalf?) what this entails. . . Do you feel then, that it is more of a dissatisfaction, overall or in general with your personal life, and in particular, or especial, the ability or in ability to make this sort of special connection with others, that is holding you back (as opposed to your more professional). Where you cite relief only, when achieving certain benchmarks or tasks accomplished? With the lack of close relationships established. Have you any idea why this seems to, at least in your mind & opinion anyway, be lacking or deficient. Is there anything that is missing in your approach, or that you could be doing differently in order to connect with others and then therefore make friends, or in some cases & instances, perhaps even something further (in regards romance, or of that department?)? I'm wondering if you have identified any specific weaknesses from a skill set standpoint, or an area where you have remained deficient that could be either addressed if acknowleged, or perhaps with guidance and practice, improved. For instance, as the old saying goes, "competence breeds confidence." And I also feel the reverse is true as well. For if we feel it, and we believe it, then we can will it either into existence, or just in the prolonging of a continued undesirable affect outcome or thing. So, in short. There is the identification of more specifics in which you feel you are coming up short in this area. Are you aware of anything particular? And if you, are you willing to do anything about it? Or have you just accepted it as your Fate, and therefore, that nothing can ever be done (about it) because that is just the way it is, because that is the way it (seemingly) always has been (done). I'm asking, only, of course, and not saying/telling/ordering, et cetera~.* :) Hoping for the best!
 

Leesa

Well-Known Member
#18
So has this current therapist said or suggested you need to be seen by any other particular kind of therapist, then? Such as one (if they do indeed exist?) that specializes in PTSD - or, the like? I'm sorry... but I'm blanking on the traditional method of treatment for such. And even furthermore, you may be more than just a little well aware, I guess I don't really know (unless this is a more recent diagnosis, on her behalf?) what this entails. . . Do you feel then, that it is more of a dissatisfaction, overall or in general with your personal life, and in particular, or especial, the ability or in ability to make this sort of special connection with others, that is holding you back (as opposed to your more professional). Where you cite relief only, when achieving certain benchmarks or tasks accomplished? With the lack of close relationships established. Have you any idea why this seems to, at least in your mind & opinion anyway, be lacking or deficient. Is there anything that is missing in your approach, or that you could be doing differently in order to connect with others and then therefore make friends, or in some cases & instances, perhaps even something further (in regards romance, or of that department?)? I'm wondering if you have identified any specific weaknesses from a skill set standpoint, or an area where you have remained deficient that could be either addressed if acknowleged, or perhaps with guidance and practice, improved. For instance, as the old saying goes, "competence breeds confidence." And I also feel the reverse is true as well. For if we feel it, and we believe it, then we can will it either into existence, or just in the prolonging of a continued undesirable affect outcome or thing. So, in short. There is the identification of more specifics in which you feel you are coming up short in this area. Are you aware of anything particular? And if you, are you willing to do anything about it? Or have you just accepted it as your Fate, and therefore, that nothing can ever be done (about it) because that is just the way it is, because that is the way it (seemingly) always has been (done). I'm asking, only, of course, and not saying/telling/ordering, et cetera~.* :) Hoping for the best!
I'm fated to struggle and be alone. I have tried hard for almost 50 years. It gets worse, not better. That's my recap.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top