Controlling Anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Tamara00, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamara00

Tamara00 Member

Part of the reason why I'm here is because I cannot control my anxiety and it's grown to affect parts of my life in a negative way. I had an incident last night where I had a bad conversation with my mom about my current situation. My mood plummeted for the rest of the evening, but I've noticed that certain things start to happen in the midst of my anxiety. I'll recognize them as symptoms of anxiety, but I can't seem to control them. Some of what happens to me:

1. I reanalyze the bad event and magnify it. If it was a bad conversation or I got some bad news, I'll obsess over it until I can't think about anything else.

2. I start to shake and lose control of my hands and arms.

3. Begin crying; stomach starts hurting, leading to gastrointestinal issues and vomiting. Stress-induced headaches and elevated temperature.

4. I begin thinking I can never overcome or get through the problem; experience suicidal and self harm thoughts.

I'm not on any medication and haven't seen a doctor yet, but I plan to when I can afford it. Most of the time I'll stay in a panic attack with high levels of anxiety until I get physically tired; my anxiety is physically exhausting and I feel like I've been exercising afterwards. Slow breathing helps me some, but once the stomach problems have started I'm not able to get rid of them for hours. I had another panic attack this morning that didn't go away until the problem was fixed.

I also obsessively worry, plan, and think about negative outcomes. I don't feel prepared to relax unless I've planned out my day or come up with a solution to a problem I am facing. If things don't go according to plan for the day I freak out and begin to magnify everything that went wrong. I will often sit for hours in silence, just thinking.

I know what my triggers are, but I'd like to be able to deal with them in healthier ways. I ruin many good days by magnifying the bad points in them and I know it's not helping my situation. What are your techniques, outside of medication, breathing and mental exercises?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I just keep busy so busy my thoughts cannot take over i just deal with what is infront of me min by min and just get throught that min
    i do hope you can see your doctor soon or get referred to a therapist who can help you as well. Breathing in the box it is called helps to decrease the aftermath of an anxiety attack
    or just picking up a phone and talking to someone helps hearing a real voice is sometimes very calming as it lets one know they are not alone hugs
  3. Tamara00

Tamara00 Member

Thank you. I tend to isolate myself or get quiet during anxiety; I'll try involving more people and talking to them so I can't be alone with my thoughts. My new job I started has insurance so as soon as possible I'll be getting professional help for it; at least talking to a doctor.
  4. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Ahhh the bummer that is anxiety. It really is a pain in the butt! One of my suggestions would be that if you know that an anxiety attack is coming on, that you do some deep breathing exercises. You can google and youtube deep breathing exercises for anxiety and a load of things come up. Another suggestion would be to consider mindfulness. Mindfulness is about returning to the present and letting the thoughts pass and acknowledging them as just that, thoughts. It is great for anxiety. You can read a little bit more about mindfulness here

Hope that helps a little :)
  5. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

I really recommend deep breathing exercises, mindfulness and yoga. One piece of advice that I have had is to just 'let it be'. Your physical reactions and thoughts are temporary. They come and go. Frantically seeking help or an end to the anxiety makes it worse. That isn't to say that you should bottle it up. You obviously need professional help but alongside that you could try just sitting and accepting how you feel, seeing the negative thoughts and feelings like clouds passing across a beautiful blue sky.:raining_smiley:
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey Tamara, anxiety really is the most debilitating issue I suffer from, it's a horrible dreadful feeling, thinking something will go wrong or something bad will happen at any time. I feel for you hun and hope you can get insurance to see a doctor soon. :hug:

When you are feeling this way, try and focus hard on something else, play a game you like...or simply write out exactly what you are feeling but include how it is making you feel, tear it up or burn it. That might help hun. Failing that, put on some earphones, go for a walk the music might take over your mind until these thoughts eventually pass.

The shaking may be due to an increased heart rate and/or hyperventilation...For the future make sure you have paper bags handy, breathe in and out slowly for several minutes until the physically symptoms ease. It does really help sometimes. :)

I'm your twin on this one, I get anxiety related nausea and vomiting which I am on stemtil for and it help[s to keep it under control, there are many over the counter aids you can get to control nausea too. Make sure you talk to the pharmcist about the problem to be sure. I sometimes get the tension headaches as well (around the temples and middle of forehead are slightly throbbing) it's very annoying and irritating, usually I would take nurofen for it. But as your temp is high etc.... I would say you would definitely need to consult a doctor before taking any action. If you still cannot afford the doctor, the pharmacist may be able to assist and help with the symptoms.

Music, keeping myself distracted...Pm'ing on here, chat, posting on the forums, cleaning, TV, but what helps the most is reading and music-takes me into a different frame of mind for the time being.

Please do NOT harm yourself hun. We are here to help. I am unsure of what country you are in but you can call or email the samaritans, or the befrienders.

They are really good, esp the samaritans, actually I think you can e-mail the samaritans no matter what country you are in. They are trained and will help hun! There is NO giving up. Not allowed!

Best of luck to you and hope you are doing better, please keep us updated! :)
  7. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

Well I've had to take my own advice as I've been very anxious most of the day. The only time it disappeared was when I was with my partner and when my colleague dropped in. It is something that makes me feel that I can't carry on but I know that it does go away sometimes and I've had months free of anxiety in the past.
  8. Summit

Summit Member

I got anxiety SO BAD I literally felt I was forgetting how to swallow. Like just saliva. I got scared to eat and lost 11 lbs in like 9 days and I'm not fat. The only thing that stopped it was xanax and an antidepressant. I just weaned of antidepressant about 2 months ago after about 6 yrs of use. I may have to restart it as the xanax isn't long lasting...and it loses effect, you have to take more and more. BUT if you are just going thru a rough spot--I recommend xanax for a short term. It really makes you lose that crazy fight or flight reaction.
  9. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, sorry to see you suffering. You need to be careful with weight loss in such short period of time it might be worth mentioning to the doctor. You need to remain positive (hard to do but easy to say) each day but the recovery process is about dealing one day at a time. Please take care and keep posting for the support you need.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.