Coping with the Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by cie, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cie

cie Banned Member

I've had something that's really decimating my life for the past 10+ years and I've never really found anything that helps so thought I'd post this. For anyone who doesn't know a negative symptom is something that removes something from you (such as energy, motivation, interest) meanwhile a positive symptom adds something (such as hallucinations, illusions).

I've had Schizophrenia since I was 8, it's been hell dealing with it especially when I grew up without any form of support whatsoever.

I'm now 25, and I have medication that treats the hallucinations, so that's ok most of the time.

What's not ok is that I can't function in society because at some point I'll have a lot of motivation, but then it slips away, and comes back, and slips away - I'm talking over the course of months. So anytime I try and commit to something-- work, study, relationships. I can't. Any initial motivation I had hits the ground and I lose whatever I commit to.

It's kind of like a wave, rather than a spike. Just comes and goes and always has.

The bottom line is that I'm so sick of it that it makes me want to scream and gouge my own eyes out. I want to be able to wake up and go to work, I want to be able to find a job and be enthusiastic about it rather than doing everything half-hearted because part of me just isn't there anymore. I get nowhere. I'm 25 and I've never had a job, I've studied for 2 years and barely made it.

Right now I'm just trying to find a job making coffee but I don't know if I can handle it, employers notice right away that I don't have motivation, energy, enthusiasm. The moment they meet me, it's over.

Then there's the other end of the spectrum, I can't have relationships with anyone, can't form real connections, it always just turns into some pathetic form of obsession.

So, so, very over it. Can anyone give me some advice? I have a psychiatrist and a therapist (whom I see weekly), I'm on antidepressants, but none of it's getting me anywhere!
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have had periods of depression where I have had absolutely no motivation and not left my bed for days on end except to use the toilet. I could have easily gone on like that for months and it wouldn't have bothered me. But I had to literally FORCE myself out of bed. Force myself to at least brush my teeth. For myself to shower every few days. It was so difficult. Most difficult thing ever. But I had to do it and be strict with myself. It was complete hell trying to do even the most simplest things with no motivation, but they were small victories. These small victories added up. Eventually leaving the house, getting housework done etc.

I wish I could offer a quick fix but I can't. The only advice I can offer you is to be strict with yourself. But don't be mad with yourself if you can't do something. Sometimes I would lay in bed and I would give myself a goal time of getting out of bed, lets say 11am. Sometimes I couldn't do it, but I'd eventually roll out of bed at 3pm. Yes it was later than I wanted, but I still achieved it and it was a small victory.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.