Counselors?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by feathers, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Dunno if this is in the right place, but do you find that counseling helps at all? I mean, I've been sent to multiple counselors in my life and I find that just having someone to talk to, is pointless to me really, because I have plenty of people, friends, my boyfriend, in my life that I can talk to whenever I want, and having a person apparently 'trained' there to listen to me does bugger all.

Is there actually any benefit to counselors that I am not seeing?

K x

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

There are many kinds of therapies. A counsellor is a type of therapist, so therefore, counselling is a type of therapy.. Essentially they are there to guide you along a journey, and ask you questions. They don't generally have much input towards helpful decisions, as such. Some people find them useful if they need that guiding, or if they don't have anyone they want to, or are able to talk to, in their regular life.

I am wondering if maybe a different kind of therapy, other than counselling, might be of benefit to you. Such a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or some sort of other therapy, maybe a therapy involving a psychologist or psychotherapist as opposed to a counsellor.

3. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I thought as such myself, hence why I always now say that I do not want to see a counselor, they have been most unhelpful to me in the past. Just wondering if there's anything I'm missing about how they're meant to be helping me, apparently not, so now I know what to look for and what not to look for in future :)

Thanks for your reply

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Not all therapies or therapists will suit everyone and often it can take a while to find what works. Hopefully you can find someone who does help you and can make more of a positive impact in your life than what you have experienced from the counsellors you have previously met. :)

5. alexloramer

alexloramer Member

Yeah, there are many kinds of therapy. Maybe you haven't found the kind that fits you yet. However, maybe i don;t know anything. I was in a different situation than you were. I was more isolated, didn't feel connected to my family or anything. So, if you have people that you feel understand youwhen you talk to them outside of the counselor, may that is suffice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.