cycles of depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by pat1, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat1

pat1 Active Member

I find that my depression/bad thoughts seem to come in ok for a while and then for no reason I get low,really that normal?had a shocking day yesterday,it was awful but I feel a bit better today..really annoying
  2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Depression untreated will come and go (as you describe in cycles), why well I am not a doctor but I figure you can distract yourself for a while be happy etc but the depression dark thoughts sneak back in.

depression is an illness a horrible crippling illness, left untreated it will come back getting worse and worse. But please don't fret it is manageable and there is support, the only thing is finding what works best for you. Whether that is therapy it meds you can certainly discuss with your doctors.

I hope this made sense and helps please just remember you are not alone in this, and take care of you

3. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

You said you had a shocking day yesterday? Does that mean that the thoughts came out of nowhere or did something happen to trigger them?

Through my bouts with depression I felt like I've been on two different cycles:

One is a constant cycle of going from having good days to having bad days for no reason. I have a few days or weeks where I feel OK, my mind is working fine, and if any minor issues come up I am able to handle them without too much incident. Then, I have a few bad days/weeks where my brain doesn't seem to work as well, I can be set off really easy, and have these depressive moods and thoughts for seemingly no reason I can think of. This cycle is more of a short-term thing for me and is something I have learned to live with and manage. Even though I am much better today, I still deal with this mood/brain/emotions cycle, I just know how to better take care of myself when my "off" period occurs.

My second cycle was more of a long-ranged thing where I would get deeply depressed/suicidal for longer periods of times. It mainly involved triggers or a lot of things building up over a period of time until it all caved in at once. It's been a couple of years since I've been at that point, and I'm hoping it's something I can avoid going forward.

I think what you're experiencing is completely normal, though. I know how annoying it can be, too. I think I'm having one of my "off" weeks this week, and it's more annoying to me than anything.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.