Daddy died last night

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Acy, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

My dad had a degenerative, progressive disease. He was 91 years old. After a bout of aspiration pneumonia (i.e., he couldn't swallow correctly, so things went to his lungs), he completely lost the ability to swallow. He was placed under palliative care (end of life care) and kept comfortable. Daddy had very long life, filled with many adventures (travelling, skiing the Alps, running, cycling trips, a trip to Antarctica, photography). The hardest thing has been to see him lose his ability to understand and take interest in the world around him. The nursing staff kept him comfortable.

All this hurts and I am so sad. Daddy's girls want their daddy to be there forever. :( I am pulling up old memories and interesting conversations we had. Love doesn't die.
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Oh Acy sweetheart I am so, so sorry to hear this. I don't really know what else to say because I dont think there's anything I could possibly say, but just know that I'm here if you ever need to talk about anything. I might be young, but have very broad shoulders so don't worry about offloading. Big hugs to you :hug:
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

So sorry for your loss ..... :hug:
  4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

(((ACy))) so sorry for your loss and how bad you have to be feeling now.. as you are doing , try to remember all the good times you had with your father..
  5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Oh Acy :( I know that you knew it was coming, but it's still always a shock.
    A million hugs, thoughts and prayers winging your way from me, if you need ANYTHING pm me, Skype me or email me.
  6. silentlyfading

silentlyfading Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Im sure the love and memories you shared will be with you forever.
  7. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about daddy.

you will always have the memories of the good times you had- and i'm sure he's happy now that he's not suffering anymore
  8. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Acy, I am sorry. No matter if it's expected or not, it still hurts like nothing else. You are right, love doesn't die, hold onto that if you can. As others have said, I'm here if you need for anything and I hope you know I mean that and I do truly understand. Finally, please look after yourself during this time. Don't let others dictate what is right for you, you do what is right for you only.
  9. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

So sorry for your loss! :hug:
  10. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Sorry hun hugs to you ok lots of them
  11. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Thank you all. Still hard to believe he's gone. We're sorting out details for a memorial service.
  12. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss its never easy to lose a parent no matter how old we are. .. :hug:
  13. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hope you are ok hun hugs toyou
  14. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

So very sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  15. Martyn

Martyn New Member

Acy, I am very sorry for your loss. Going thru the holiday season without him must be very difficult. You are right, love doesn't die. Our loved ones remain with us forever.
  16. Auerbach

Auerbach Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your father.
  17. mark b

mark b Well-Known Member

sorry for this sadness.

91 years is amazing. and i dont know your age, but to have been so priveleged to have someone call you daddy, is something he must have been so proud of.

i will never know that joy.

hugs and love to you.
  18. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Nothing prepares us for each loss, no matter how expected. But knowing that others care for you at this time can hopefully cushion the blow. Please know you are in my thoughts.
  19. flowers

flowers Senior Member

oh Acy. I just read this and am so very deeply sorry. Losing a parent is so very painful. I remember how hard and excruciating it was when my father passed away. I am so deeply sorry. :hug: My very sincere belated sympathies to you dear one
  20. Bluangelz

Bluangelz New Member

So sorry for ur loss! Except for my 2 sons & sister, everyone I had n loved has passed incl my mom n dad. I don't know who I am now. So alone. 1st x here. Wld love to fit somewhere.