Daily ups and downs

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by kittyD, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Do others feel that their depression gets worse or better over the day? I can barely get myself out of bed, only to go back to sleep on the couch. But by mid afternoon, I'm feeling somewhat more positive. Then by early evening I'm feeling comparatively happy and motivated, but by bedtime it all comes crashing down again and I feel absolutely hopeless again. I'd like to know if thats normal for depression and if others notice it also.
    kD

2. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

yes its normal, ups and downs can be over hours or days.

its just something to get used to, something to overcome.
    are you on meds?

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

yep, i have cycles to my moods. there's the weekly cycle: sundays are really bad. there's the 10 week cycle where i crash totally, no matter how good the previous weeks have been. as for daily cycles: i feel better in the mornings, worse at night.

my way to deal: make a detailed schedule and stick to it. when i was first treated for depression i planned out the entire day in half hour slots. i'd keep track each day as to whether i did what was on the list, and how i felt after. then when the nurse visited we'd review the schedule to look for patterns - when was i low, when was i agitated, when was i okay, when did i do something relaxing, when did i do something with other people, and so on. we could then see the red flag areas and start to work on those.

have you tried something like that?

4. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Never occurred to me to keep track of the swings. A long long time ago if I needed to accomplish too much at once, I'd break into 15-30 min. cycles, then move on to the next.
    And yes I am on meds but I think I either need more or another on top; right now they just get me from the bed to the couch/tv to the computer.
    Thanks
    kD

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

why not try tracking them for a few weeks, it might give you some insight. like i found that i was feeling really isolated and lonely on sundays, so now i schedule phone calls with friends in the morning and then i usually try and meet up with other friends in the afternoon to go photographing or for a walk or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.