david drake quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon

Antiquitie's Friend
" some fools believed that pushing a person beyond their limits made them tougher.
all it did was break them"

David Drake

gitana

SF Friend & Antiquitie's Friend
Staff Alumni
Simon, what is the point here that you are trying to make? "Some people are pushed beyond their limits, to make one one tougher and all it did was break them.." However, some people are pushed beyond their limits and made them the person they are today. Unfortunately, some are broken, I know for sure, and difficult to come back.. I have known people in that place and it is sad that has happened.. I don't understand why.

I am one that finally broke, even though I was tough and could handle it, stubborn, and made it through what I endured, I finally broke one day. It has taken me some time for me to come back to where I am now and still working on it and for some, it made them a better person and they are able to go on somehow. I have learned alot through my experiences and it has made me the person I am today. My friends never got it.. or understood.

I love to interact with people and have good discussions. Also, if somebody says something, without saying something, that maybe there is alot of hurt and pain there. Does that make sense? Or maybe you just thought it would be a good discussion topic to interact.. I don't know..

Good quote.. Never heard of Devid Drake. Could you tell me more about him? Are you one of these people that can relate to what he said, about being broken? Just thought I would ask.. you don't have to answer if you don't want. Feel free to PM if you would like or respond here.. whatever you feel comfortable with.. if you want to discuss further. I was just interested in your statement and why.

Gitana/Tracie

S
I think the point being made is that we're only human - there's only so much we can endure, and to push beyond that point can destroy. It's advocating the importance of understanding our limits, pushing to the limit but not past it. Growth occurs slowly, one step at a time, because we must balance our effort with rest. Extremism is generally unhealthy, balance is good.

I'll give you an example of how wrong that is.

How do you think physical excercise works? You work so hard at something, that you actually cause micro-tears in the muscle, and when it heals, it be comes stronger....

And in a more psychological way.

If you stay comfortable, within your limits, and you've never experiences anything else, what will happen when you finally do? You'll be overwhelmed.

If your limits are always being expanded, by taking on challenges, or doing more work, or trying harder at things, if your always up and trying to do your best, your limits will be larger, and when something big comes your way, you stand a much better chance of coping with it.

Just my two cents.

JohnADreams

I'll give you an example of how wrong that is.

How do you think physical excercise works? You work so hard at something, that you actually cause micro-tears in the muscle, and when it heals, it be comes stronger....
But there's still such a thing as overtraining. Not resting enough, not eating well or over-exercising can make the muscles shrink and weaken instead of strengthening them. You grow after you've pushed your limits, often during sleep. If you just keep pushing and pushing, you wont get all that far.

Same thing psychologically. If you have to deal with something day in, day out for a large amount of your life, without having the time to grow, how can people expect you to handle it? Cant just up the protein intake and get on with it. :smile:

If your limits are always being expanded, by taking on challenges, or doing more work, or trying harder at things, if your always up and trying to do your best, your limits will be larger, and when something big comes your way, you stand a much better chance of coping with it.
We're saying the same thing basically, this is just semantics.

Logically speaking though, no one can go beyond their absolute limits in anything. The whole concept of limit is to describe the maximum, you're talking about someone's perceived limits. For example, if I'm depressed and feel like I can't accomplish much, I'm setting up imaginary 'limits' in my mind, but those are not my true limits. It's common for people to underestimate themselves, but it is also possible for us to overestimate ourselves. For example, millions die every year for thinking they can handle alcohol, drugs, and also for believing they can drive under intoxication. A certain balance is necessary so that we maintain a sense of objectivity.

P

ProzacDeathWish

Oh yeah, pushing people beyond their limits is a great concept. Just keep pushing and pushing and pushing...and sooner or later you get Columbine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00