Has anyone else been to something like this? The program (it's at the psychiatric polyclinic) has 8 participants and consists of
Mondays:
1. Theme group, where there's a lecture about a specific theme related to mental health and participants are invited to share/discuss the issue.
2. Movement group, where...well it's not really clear what it'll be about each time, but the first time it was about physical exercises you can do to help with anxiety
Wednesdays:
3. Conversation group (ugh this is the worst one) where there is no set discussion subject but you're expected to share personal things you struggle with, or your perspective on what others said.
4. Exercise group (or is this the worst one? It feels kind of condescending)... in normal times they'd go to a gym and exercise together but we're at the clinic in the basement, keeping our distance and doing simple calisthenics.
Thursday:
5. Mastery group. Mix between lecture and discussion (where they ask everyone to chime in) about ways to deal with mental health problems. Or, well, I've only ever been once and they said this will be "music therapy" sometimes, which sounds cringe af
6. Activity. Back in normal times they'd go bowling and things like that, in corona times we go for walks/hikes.
This was my first week on this and although it's only for 3 hours 3 days a week, I'm exhausted. It's been a nightmare, really. My social anxiety is so bad that even in a group of people with mental health issues where most struggle with anxiety, I felt like the odd one out. I was the only one who couldn't answer coherently, who'd freeze up when asked to chime in, stutter and "abort" answers and end up saying things that don't make sense. This isn't helping at all and I don't think the people who encouraged me to go on this program realized how bad my social anxiety is and for how long I've been socially isolated.
I'm the only one in this group who hasn't had a life at all. Everyone else has friends, they either have jobs or have had jobs, some are married...I'm definitely the odd one out.
It doesn't end when I go home at the end of the "day" (again, it's "just" 3 hours). I replay the things I said in my head over and over again, how much I embarassed myself, how strange I came off, how a couple of times there was a long, awkward silence after I'd fail to answer a question...and I just can't seem to calm down.
Bleh. They promised me the second week would be easier but I'm not so sure. I think I'm too damaged. I've started taking medicine (wellbutrin, supposed to be good for depression but not so good for anxiety) yesterday, it'll take a few weeks to kick in but I'll have to go on an SSRI for anxiety as well if I am to ever function, I think. Sometimes therapy isn't enough.
Mondays:
1. Theme group, where there's a lecture about a specific theme related to mental health and participants are invited to share/discuss the issue.
2. Movement group, where...well it's not really clear what it'll be about each time, but the first time it was about physical exercises you can do to help with anxiety
Wednesdays:
3. Conversation group (ugh this is the worst one) where there is no set discussion subject but you're expected to share personal things you struggle with, or your perspective on what others said.
4. Exercise group (or is this the worst one? It feels kind of condescending)... in normal times they'd go to a gym and exercise together but we're at the clinic in the basement, keeping our distance and doing simple calisthenics.
Thursday:
5. Mastery group. Mix between lecture and discussion (where they ask everyone to chime in) about ways to deal with mental health problems. Or, well, I've only ever been once and they said this will be "music therapy" sometimes, which sounds cringe af
6. Activity. Back in normal times they'd go bowling and things like that, in corona times we go for walks/hikes.
This was my first week on this and although it's only for 3 hours 3 days a week, I'm exhausted. It's been a nightmare, really. My social anxiety is so bad that even in a group of people with mental health issues where most struggle with anxiety, I felt like the odd one out. I was the only one who couldn't answer coherently, who'd freeze up when asked to chime in, stutter and "abort" answers and end up saying things that don't make sense. This isn't helping at all and I don't think the people who encouraged me to go on this program realized how bad my social anxiety is and for how long I've been socially isolated.
I'm the only one in this group who hasn't had a life at all. Everyone else has friends, they either have jobs or have had jobs, some are married...I'm definitely the odd one out.
It doesn't end when I go home at the end of the "day" (again, it's "just" 3 hours). I replay the things I said in my head over and over again, how much I embarassed myself, how strange I came off, how a couple of times there was a long, awkward silence after I'd fail to answer a question...and I just can't seem to calm down.
Bleh. They promised me the second week would be easier but I'm not so sure. I think I'm too damaged. I've started taking medicine (wellbutrin, supposed to be good for depression but not so good for anxiety) yesterday, it'll take a few weeks to kick in but I'll have to go on an SSRI for anxiety as well if I am to ever function, I think. Sometimes therapy isn't enough.
Last edited:
in other words: it would be far better, if I had a different perspective, and a more , or should I say “less opinionated,” view. I should not worry so much about why I am so terrible with either or in the first place. This change in mindset or philosophy, right there, already changes the psychology &/or mindset - outlook, already!