Dear John

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by halfalifestory, Aug 19, 2013.

1. halfalifestory

halfalifestory New Member

Dear John,

Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for being uniquely yourself, and resisting bowing down to the pressures this world and this society put on you. Nobody who reads this will know who I am, as since we met in November 2012 we kept our friendship strictly secret from everyone else you knew. But that's okay, because thats what we were both comfortable with.

Thank you for being the best Dad you could be. Thank you for being the best son you could be. Thank you for fighting steadfastly for your entire life against the thoughts and impulses and feelings that both your brain chemicals and your life experience tortured you with. Thank you for spending hours and hours talking with me, on the phone and in our visits, and never holding anything back. Thank you for keeping me steady during times when I was struggling. Thank you for being a person I could feel comfortable being completely honest with, and thank you for being completely honest and open with me.

Thank you for your awesome intellect. Thank you for your insights into how the world, society, people and life works. Thank you for your sense of humor. Thank you for your hugs. Thank you for reaching out to me to begin our friendship, and thank you for never being out of touch. Thank you for setting an example that I could look up to for how to stay calm and together when there is a hurricane of emotion going on inside you.

You and I talked extensively about issues surrounding suicide. Your intelligence, thoughts, experiences, and points of view were right on the mark. Your life was your property, and no one elses. No one has a right to criticize or question your decision.

Although it often didnt feel like it, everyone who truly, honestly knew you, loved you from the heart for the gentle and caring spirit you were. And that is what I will always remember. You shared part of the journey with me, and in doing so changed my life forever.

Be at rest.

Love, your friend Rich.
  2. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about your loss

3. liro

liro New Member

I am sorry for your loss.
  4. LoganMorgan

LoganMorgan Member

That was a wonderful statement. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing and letting us know that suicide does not make one somehow, less.