Depersonalization-Derealization Disorder

Organicmaplesyurp

Some Chargie
SF Supporter
Does anyone else here have DDD? I go through episodes every once in a while and it really scares me. Unfortunately, I've just entered another episode.

Anyone know how to deal with it?

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Does anyone else here have DDD? I go through episodes every once in a while and it really scares me. Unfortunately, I've just entered another episode.

Anyone know how to deal with it?
i'm sorry I know nothing about ddd I must be a dunce :rolleyes: but I do know one thing you don't have to suffer or fight alone we are here to help you and fight by your side please talk to me anytime i'm here I want to help and I care for and about you. please take care of yourself

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
i think i know of it in the slightest sense as i was told that depersonalization is as if the mind is leaving the body or trying to not be a part. i expereinced this during one of my hospital stays while on a medication. i can say only a little about it. if it could be helpful, please let me know. i’m happy to talk.

Organicmaplesyurp

Some Chargie
SF Supporter
i'm sorry I know nothing about ddd I must be a dunce :rolleyes: but I do know one thing you don't have to suffer or fight alone we are here to help you and fight by your side please talk to me anytime i'm here I want to help and I care for and about you. please take care of yourself
You're definitely not a dunce!

i think i know of it in the slightest sense as i was told that depersonalization is as if the mind is leaving the body or trying to not be a part. i expereinced this during one of my hospital stays while on a medication. i can say only a little about it. if it could be helpful, please let me know. i’m happy to talk.
It's kind of like that, yeah.

Thank you both.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I just try to bring myself back to reality when that happens, or else I will panic. I'm sorry you go through these episodes, I know how scary that can be. I wish there was more advice I could give you, but I find it hard to escape them as well.

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Depends to what extreme you mean... For I relate to it to an extent, but it can go way further than my experience. At this point in my life I don't think I would be diagnosed with any dissociative disorders. I have cut off/tuned out often. I do it less so now. To be honest I never knew what to do about it. Maybe a therapist/professional would have advice? I found journaling a waste of time at such times for I couldn't actually connect to myself and writing to myself (I often wrote letters to myself) was just pure weird at such times for I would feel as though there was no one actually 'there'. What did help? Hmm, maybe being focused, trying to ground myself and be as present as possible in the world. Like by doing puzzles (the only reason I did jigsaw puzzles and I've done loads is to focus) or mindfulness guided recordings or grounding exercises like focusing on surrounding.
I hope you are more present now, and that you can get some real advice what to do about it.

Freyja

Not staff. Freyja with a j.
SF Supporter
I used to experience derealization sometimes (but not often enough to have a "disorder" I think, my psychiatrist never talked to me about that) but haven't in 2 years now. My insomnias also got better approx. at that time and I suspect it is because I deal with stress much better. I am not sure if it's a common reason but to me it was linked to perfectionism/stress, so when I learned to "let go", to take care of myself more rather than aim at some unreachable ideal, I guess it got better. It's all speculations from me and my psychiatrist.

Citizen Insane

Emote Encyclopedia
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
@Organicmaplesyurp https://www.suicideforum.com/community/threads/depersonalization-and-derealization.144416/ There was a thread awhile ago about this.

Heya :) I have had this disorder for over 8 years now (chronic depersonalization), I could never really get used to it...
The thing that frustrated me the most in the past was that... I could not ever put this into words how it feels to me when talking to others about my emotions. :eek:
The biggest disconnection I feel is related to my memory in general. Like I said in the thread I linked: "I often feel like that I was placed in this body after it had lived for 20 years (I'm 28 now)."
What that means is that when I remember something, like an event from the past (before 2010) or a scent, image, music etc. I feel this tremendous disconnection. I am living the life of someone else in the same body.

My behaviour doesn't make any sense to me, this is especially true when in a social environment like my volunteer work currently. I am spectating myself from a distance, unable to tap in to my feelings.

https://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-D...er-Mindfulness-Acceptance-ebook/dp/B003TU29X4

I got this book a few years ago, it helped me not feel so terribly alone in this already lonely battle with this heavy disorder.

Organicmaplesyurp

Some Chargie
SF Supporter
Depends to what extreme you mean... For I relate to it to an extent, but it can go way further than my experience. At this point in my life I don't think I would be diagnosed with any dissociative disorders. I have cut off/tuned out often. I do it less so now. To be honest I never knew what to do about it. Maybe a therapist/professional would have advice? I found journaling a waste of time at such times for I couldn't actually connect to myself and writing to myself (I often wrote letters to myself) was just pure weird at such times for I would feel as though there was no one actually 'there'. What did help? Hmm, maybe being focused, trying to ground myself and be as present as possible in the world. Like by doing puzzles (the only reason I did jigsaw puzzles and I've done loads is to focus) or mindfulness guided recordings or grounding exercises like focusing on surrounding.
I hope you are more present now, and that you can get some real advice what to do about it.
I have talked to my therapist about it, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do. I was just wondering if anyone on SF had some coping skills. I'm out of this episode now anyway.

Organicmaplesyurp

Some Chargie
SF Supporter
I used to experience derealization sometimes (but not often enough to have a "disorder" I think, my psychiatrist never talked to me about that) but haven't in 2 years now. My insomnias also got better approx. at that time and I suspect it is because I deal with stress much better. I am not sure if it's a common reason but to me it was linked to perfectionism/stress, so when I learned to "let go", to take care of myself more rather than aim at some unreachable ideal, I guess it got better. It's all speculations from me and my psychiatrist.
I'm glad it has gotten better for you. Mine seems to be triggered by stress too.

Organicmaplesyurp

Some Chargie
SF Supporter
@Organicmaplesyurp https://www.suicideforum.com/community/threads/depersonalization-and-derealization.144416/ There was a thread awhile ago about this.

Heya :) I have had this disorder for over 8 years now (chronic depersonalization), I could never really get used to it...
The thing that frustrated me the most in the past was that... I could not ever put this into words how it feels to me when talking to others about my emotions. :eek:
The biggest disconnection I feel is related to my memory in general. Like I said in the thread I linked: "I often feel like that I was placed in this body after it had lived for 20 years (I'm 28 now)."
What that means is that when I remember something, like an event from the past (before 2010) or a scent, image, music etc. I feel this tremendous disconnection. I am living the life of someone else in the same body.

My behaviour doesn't make any sense to me, this is especially true when in a social environment like my volunteer work currently. I am spectating myself from a distance, unable to tap in to my feelings.

https://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-D...er-Mindfulness-Acceptance-ebook/dp/B003TU29X4

I got this book a few years ago, it helped me not feel so terribly alone in this already lonely battle with this heavy disorder.
I know the feeling, but it doesn't sound like I experience it as often as you do. Sorry to hear about that. I'll check that book out, thanks.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00