Depression and dreams

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by TeddyZ, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyZ

TeddyZ Member

Although ive never been diagnosed im depressed. Does anyone know if your depression can be linked to dreams? I dont dream to often, i try to take different substances before i sleep so i wont dream But when i do dream id say 99% of my dreams are nightmares terrifying nightmares to the point where i dont wana dream ever.

So basically i have to go through an entire shitty day then when im finally gonna get a break from it all and sleep i just get woken up by being scared. Awesome.

Any helps appreciated.
    Maybe i wont have dreams anymore soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  2. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about it. Depression can be hard to diagnose. Sometimes, you are depressed, yet can't be detected. And yes, depression can give you nightmares. Hard to sleep also. When I'm depressed, I have alot of dream, mostly nightmares. If it's not a nightmare, it is a beautiful dreams, the wishes I want to happen, but when I woke up, I know it won't happen, which become a living nightmares. Substance might help, in the beginning, but the after-effect can be devastating...

Maybe go to your phys, and tell him you have those nightmares. Maybe he can prescire you something to help you have less nightmares. I don't know if it is possible, but it's worth trying... You can have a quality life as long as you struggle to be happy. As long as you want things to get better. Things will get better for sure. Wish you all the best.

3. aqua

aqua Banned Member

when I am depressed I have a lot more nightmares, I too hate falling asleep, because I know I will be waking up from a scary dream, into another one, reality. I take some meds, that sometimes put me out and I don't dream at all. I hope you can get some relief from the bad dreams, and from the depression

4. TeddyZ

TeddyZ Member

The only thing ive found that can prevent them is to be intoxicated when i go to sleep. Drunk and/or high i seem not to dream. I wouldnt say the nightmares give me thoughts of suicide but they dont help. My nightmares are a high range of things but always bad/negative/violent.

Thanks for the replies.

5. Kakadu

Kakadu New Member

When I'm in a really low spot depression-wise, I find I don't remember most of my dreams. Now and then I'll have one that's just horrible, usually a subconscious-dump, where I'll dream about stuff that has triggered my depression which, of course, makes me feel even more horrible when I wake....Like, crying before my eyes even open sort of thing. I often tend to use sleep to escape reality, so it really sucks when I can't even sleep for fear of having one of these horrible dreams which makes things worse.

6. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Dreams are a way of processing information, and while nightmares can be scary, they are your minds way of possibly representing how you are feeling. I have bee diagnosed with mild depression (which was back in 2006/2007) and though that is my diagnosis back then I believe that it may be a lot worse now. I very often get very vivid nightmares... if not every night, every other night. Yes they can be scary, but the best thing to do is shelf them and live past them. I found my nightmares reduced when I listen to white noise to get me to sleep, which has proven effective in getting me to sleep and lessening nightmares.

Could be worth a try for you to see if that helps.

(in case you would like to try one, this is the one I use, with special mode for dreamless sleep)
    http://www.amazon.com/Relax-Melodie...08IJT0CE/ref=pd_sim_mas_1/184-1697611-0754867

7. TeddyZ

TeddyZ Member

I was out of town over the weekend and didnt get much sleep 4-6 hours a night with no dreams. But i also didnt feel depressed those days. Im starting to think the more depressed iam the worse my dreams are.

Also leading up to the weekend i was having trouble getting to sleep. I stayed up i think like 36 hrs straight. Slept 7/48.

8. TeddyZ

TeddyZ Member

^^ ive never tried white noise but i sleep with the tv on if thats any similar.

9. G.M.

G.M. Banned Member

When I dream, it is very vivid and violent. Killing, torture, war and such stuff. And I don't wake up, it just keep going. And when I finally wake up I'm in the worst nightmare, my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.