Depression and Self Centerdness

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by pancake111, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

Do you think people with depression are more self centered? And I don't mean in a narcissistic way. Like they may not realize how they may have hurt someone.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I do not think they are self centered at all I think all they feel is a deep sadness and pain and that clouds out everything and everyone around them

3. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Right, sure. Depressed people are self-centered for suffering with an illness that they didn't fucking ask to suffer with.

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No, not really...if I have hurt people, just because I'm depressed, I didn't mean to do that. I am the one who is usually hurt by people.

5. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I have depression too, so I know what it's like. What I mean is, sometimes people with depression hurt others, and not realize it because sometimes with depression you can become wrapped up in yourself; you don't see how your own pain is hurting those around you as well.

6. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I personally think that to be considered "self-centred" would depend on the person who is perceiving the one in the depression.

I honestly do not believe people who are depressed would be deliberately self-centred per se, they try to prevent others from being hurt for one, by keeping it all to themselves - which they tend to believe is better as less people get "hurt" in that. Consideration for others in this manner is pretty much the opposite of being self-centred.

But at the same time - in order to find a balance to work from to maybe ease the burden of the depression, wouldn't they need to be a little self-centred to help work towards that balance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.