1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

depression gets worse when bored

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by undercoverlover, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover both dead and alive until somebody opens the box

i often experience anxiety and depression more often when i am bored or don't know what to do. when i am in these situations, i tend to start thinking of self harm, binging, etc. does anyone else experience this? if so, what do you do to keep yourself busy?

2. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

This definitely happens to me. When I have too much free time, I usually get depressed. Especially during the summer. I like to create a schedule/routine for myself. I like to go out for walks and bike rides. I visit the library (nerdy right). I'm interning at a local access tv station.

I need to keep my mind somewhat occupied to keep it from becoming depressed.

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

This makes perfect sense and is pretty common, I think, to almost everybody. If bored often, ask for more hours at work, or get a second job. If in school, take additional classes or do work for extra credit. Join a club or volunteer to a charity organization. Paint, play music, get involved in sports, or somehow otherwise occupy your time with creative activities. Start some hobbies. Make new friends. Get involved in exercise or build a website. Go shopping or to the library or park. Get a pet and focus time into caring for the animal. I know I don't like to be bored and rarely am because I always have a thousand irons in the fire. Build yourself a wellness plan that includes processes which will keep you from having idle time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.