depression gets worse when bored

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by undercoverlover, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

i often experience anxiety and depression more often when i am bored or don't know what to do. when i am in these situations, i tend to start thinking of self harm, binging, etc. does anyone else experience this? if so, what do you do to keep yourself busy?

2. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

This definitely happens to me. When I have too much free time, I usually get depressed. Especially during the summer. I like to create a schedule/routine for myself. I like to go out for walks and bike rides. I visit the library (nerdy right). I'm interning at a local access tv station.

I need to keep my mind somewhat occupied to keep it from becoming depressed.

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

This makes perfect sense and is pretty common, I think, to almost everybody. If bored often, ask for more hours at work, or get a second job. If in school, take additional classes or do work for extra credit. Join a club or volunteer to a charity organization. Paint, play music, get involved in sports, or somehow otherwise occupy your time with creative activities. Start some hobbies. Make new friends. Get involved in exercise or build a website. Go shopping or to the library or park. Get a pet and focus time into caring for the animal. I know I don't like to be bored and rarely am because I always have a thousand irons in the fire. Build yourself a wellness plan that includes processes which will keep you from having idle time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.