Disassociation Anyone?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ahmandah, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmandah

Ahmandah Member

I couldn't find a thread on it, but I figured I would ask if anyone else here has this symptom with their PTSD and what it does for them.
    For me, my vision is "pixelated", almost like the old tv snow you used to get with analog tvs, but in color. I also have a voice in my head that is constantly talking and saying stupid things about me and my actions. Almost like how you see the wicked step-mothers talk to the innocent princesses in Disney movies. I also hear sounds that aren't there. I.E. Footsteps when I'm alone in the house, cell phones going off when they aren't, tv through a wall when driving... I also get super spacey, especially when I'm around a trigger or when I'm driving.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi hun yes i hear phones all time i hate driving i hate being in passenger sit so hpervigilant and yes i too slip in and out of reality hugs to you hope you are receiving some professional help hun hugs

3. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I hear things sometimes, usually just loose track of time. get stuck thinking in some other world(s). The other part of the time I'm Hyper-Vigilant and shaking like mad. I was still shaking when we got home today too. When my anxiety is high my vision changes as well. My Depth Perception is really off.. And lately I feel like I will fall over a lot and loose my balance. But I also have Sensory Processing Disorder which may contribute to that. I am very sensitive to light and wear sunglasses a LOT. Yeah.. I dissociate but my service dog helps with both my panic and keeps me focused more on reality, otherwise Id prob be lost out somewhere staring for hours..

4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Ahmandah I have been dissociating for 60 yrs now.. This started cause I, me could not stay with what was really happening to me during my childhood!!! Alternate personalities took over most of my first 17 yrs.. Spent more time checked out than real here and now.. Also when finally got back to reality have no memory of what happened while dissociating during the DID events..

Things are much better now.. Thank you Lord.. The 20th of February will make 2 months without dissociating.

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

oh yes, I too dissociate. I have no memories of being certain places, when people tell me i was there. Not because I was not there physically. But the rest of me was not there. I once got yelled at for doing something. I was shocked to see what I was doing. I had no clue. I used to know that driving was always dangerous for me. Now it varies. Sometimes driving can be safe. Other times, not so much.

After I had worked on the awareness of what was happening, I came to enough cognition so I actually could catch myself in the act, so to speak. It took years to get to this point. I remember all of a sudden being in the kitchen alone. But somewhere in my mind I had a whisp of knowing that roomates had been trying to get through to me. And gave up. Because no one was home. Just my body, I went to them to ask if it was true. They told me that I had really scared them. Word got out that I was "crazy". But I was dissociative. I still am. Although it is not as bad as it was. Still its painful and difficult. Being dissociatave means that i never can be sure if I will be in control of things or not. BTW, I am not DID.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.