Do anti depressants help? Which ones

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I've reached rock bottom with my depression. At 23, when i should be having the best time of my live, i'm feeling completely down. I can't concentrate, i can't sleep, i've been crying for most of the day.
    I was always so positive, despite my depression. Lately, for the first time in my life, i don't believe that it will actually get better. I've been depressed on and off for 8 years, but still,
    it was never as severe as now. 6 months since she left, it still feels like yesterday. And the time we spent together, for the first time in my life, i was actually happy. I thought it was real.

My doctor gave me anti depressant Trazodone (i asked for it speciffically because i don't want sexual side effects at such an age), but it gave me severe heart problems, so i stopped taking them.
    I'm seeing psychiatrist on friday and i know he will want me to try different anti depressants. Do they ever work? Which ones have the fewest sexual side effects? I heard Wellbutrin is pretty good...
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Actually Wellbutrin was the only med that did work for me and it has less side effects for when you want to come off it It works different then the other anti depressants Ask your doc for sure abt it.
  3. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Honestly, anti depressants work differently for everyone. For some people they can do wonders, for others they don't do a thing. I was on mirtazapine for maybe about 7 months, didn't change my mood a bit, but it helped regulate my sleep pattern (which is severely fucked up) so I stayed on them. If you want to get on meds for depression you'll probably end up needing to try a few different kinds before you find the right one for you. But bear in mind there's no "magic pill" that can make your depression go away completely. If only there was lol. :\
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.