• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Do residual symptoms mean you're unstable?

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
My mood is completely fine and I'm euthymic but I'm talking in terms of my psychosis. When I was ill I'd argue with myself and the voices I was hearing at the time. I believed I was possessed by the devil. I had other paranoid delusions. I felt like my body had been taken over. I heard all kinds of derogatory voices all the time.

Things are not like that now. As I said, my mood is stable. But I do hear voices though they are not derogatory. They are mostly random or they commentate on what I'm doing or on a situation. It's a bit hard to explain and it's not constant, it's random. I also get odd pangs of paranoia where I feel like cameras are following me but I can shake it off and not believe it's true.

This is not a new thing. When I came out of hospital I had little to no psychosis and I was just dealing with residual depression. But I'd say that the psychotic symptoms started up again just after I started work.

I don't feel unwell and I am not too bothered by my symptoms, they are a bit annoying yes but I'm able to carry on working and my day to day activities.

Does this mean I'm not stable? I feel stable. I've told my CPN about it and we were supposed to have a face to face appointment on Thursday but she's had to go off sick to covid test so I don't really know her point of view. I can live with these symptoms and they aren't getting worse and none of my early warning signs of relapse are there, just residual psychosis.

What do you guys think?

Optimistic Goatman

The woolly enigmatic one
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don't know if it's really as simple as some people being "stable" and others being "unstable", it's more of a spectrum, right? But i'd say if you're functional, not being controlled by your voices or convinced of things by your delusions, then i'd say you're pretty far towards the stable end of that spectrum, psychosis or no. Possibly if anything even further towards the stable end for managing to be so functional in spite of that psychosis.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
I don't know if it's really as simple as some people being "stable" and others being "unstable", it's more of a spectrum, right? But i'd say if you're functional, not being controlled by your voices or convinced of things by your delusions, then i'd say you're pretty far towards the stable end of that spectrum, psychosis or no. Possibly if anything even further towards the stable end for managing to be so functional in spite of that psychosis.
I definitely have a level of insight but I also lack it too which is why I am asking for advice because I am not sure if it's going to be my new normal or not or whether I need to be completely psychosis free.

Optimistic Goatman

The woolly enigmatic one
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I definitely have a level of insight but I also lack it too which is why I am asking for advice because I am not sure if it's going to be my new normal or not or whether I need to be completely psychosis free.
I'd say that being completely psychosis free would definitely be the ideal, and possibly something to keep working towards, but personally, i'd say that if you've reached a point where it's all become manageable, and you feel in a comfortable place mentally, then that's certainly an acceptable point to be at. The priority should definitely be to at least remain where you're at, but future improvement is likely possible and something to keep working on if that's something you still want to do. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00