Do they have to?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by AlaskanIce, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlaskanIce

AlaskanIce Active Member

Once again today I found myself being asked about my major and how long I've been in college. And especially - how much longer do I have. Right now, I can't think of a worse series of questions to ask me. I have to say 5 years, last switched 2 years ago this coming fall, and no clue how much longer.

Must people ask me this? Make me voice my patheticness? Can't answer those three so also cannot answer other similar questions, like what do I want to do after graduating, or worse yet - what will I do. Plans, career, etc. There is no way for me to answer these questions without showing how pathetic, indecisive, and useless I am.

And I sound like a broken record, I know. Other posts of mine are along the same lines as this. Not thinking about it makes me feel bad, thinking about it makes me feel worse, and so goes the vicious cycle. Roughly half of an upper division elective class this past Spring semester graduated so that made me feel worse, hearing the question then looking around the classroom at all the raised hands. Again, broken record. Probably drawled on about this either in forums or in chat.

I suck.
  2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I hate when people ask me question about what I do for a living etc...I guess they are trying to get to know me, but I just feel like such a failure so, it doesn't help...maybe when they ask, say you don't know and switch the conversation to something else? I've tried this and it works sometimes...I just start asking about them and try to keep it up and get as far away from the subject as possible...

but I understand how that can sucks for me as well...hang in there friend, and keep venting on here, thank god for here right? :hug:
  3. ava321

ava321 Active Member

I'm 26 and just graduated because I didn't and still don't really know what the hell I'm doing with my life. I used to get ask EVERY DAY for YEARS.. "when are you finishing?" "have you finished?" "when do you graduate?" "how much longer you in school?"

I can't even tell you how many times I started lashing out at people for that. It made me feel like total shit for not having an answer. I just wanted to get on the right path and educate myself, hopefully find something I want to do with my life on the way.. it was paved with people tormenting me about what I was studying and how much longer I would be in school. I just wanted everybody off my case! Just be happy I'm TRYING to make something of myself instead of doing nothing at all.

I finished school and now everybody keeps reminding me that I haven't gotten a job yet. I just can't be good enough for anybody around here.

I totally relate.. wish I could help you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.