Do you make yourself depressed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Forgotten_Man, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

So I am wondering something, do you ever think that you force yourself to feel depressed? Just a random question that popped into my head for some reason.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think for some that being depressed is comfortable for them it is all that they know and when they feel happiness they don't trust what they are feeling they get scared and yes they do something to sabotage that happiness
  3. Forgotten_Man

Hmmm yeah that makes sense to me... I just wonder sometimes.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

sometimes i wonder the same thing,

if I dont want to get the hell back up on my feet, i'm all content laying down and let world pass by with no care in the world.
  5. SilencedFaith

SilencedFaith Member

I wish I knew.

If I made myself depress, that will make things so much more easier. Because all I need to know then is how to make myself happy.
  6. Forgotten_Man

I guess that I wonder because if I can unconsciously make myself depressed. Then I should unconsciously make myself happy right?
  7. Baka

Baka Well-Known Member

Think I do make myself get into that depressed state, not the one I'm most comfortable in but it's the one I know the best. Have actually been in situations where I should have been quite happy with my life, there was really no reason I shouldn't have but being happy is just so foreign to me. Threw everything away as far as employment and the other things that were supposed to make me happy and now I'm back in that state of depression by all my actions, though I know this state so well can't say I enjoy it in the least.
  8. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I've never really thought about it Forgotten_Man but now you mention it I think I do; well not exactly 'force', but I fall into depression & it is a sort of comfort zone, however contradictory that sounds
  9. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Sometimes, which is rare when I am not feeling depressed I do think of things to put me back in that depressed mood. With me I think I do it because without it I feel lonely and have nothing. Now I know that sounds crazy, but I guess it just shows how messed up my mind is.
  10. Jreed

Jreed Member

I make myself depressed all the time. It's not something new to me. I make myself depressed
    Day of my life.

I just love to pick at myself and eat myself from the inside up. It's something that I think about alot, and that alot of people actually theorize and talk about alot in self help articles. There's something inside use, all of us, that likes to see us fail. It's either some voice, some entity, a chemical imbalance or whatever that kind of drives people to be harshly critical about ourselves. Now, that is not to say that is the root of all depression, but there is something to be said about how people or individuals just LOVE to self deprecate one's own flaws and faults.
  11. Wereghost

Wereghost Member

Maybe we romanticize it to a degree. Or maybe we just can't unlearn how to stop hating ourselves.

I know I've sabotaged myself a lot due to feeling inept, feeling insecure.
  12. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Overthinking and upsetting others makes me sad and lonely. I think over caring can be its own worst enemy.
  13. fearille

fearille New Member

Yeah probably... I can't stop to hating myself so.
    I wish I could be happy though. Why being happy is so damn hard?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.