Do you think love is the root cause of depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooky

You are valuable
1.Say ur mom/dad dies..then u become depressed
2.U love a girl/boy but they don't love u back and the results are the same
3.U love to have a career in a particular field..but u dont get that job ... results depression

I feel it is the top cause of most depression.I think that if human didn't have that emotion of love in them they they would hardly be depressed.

Ppl should be caring,kind,compassionate about someone(or something) but they should not love that particular person/thing or else they would be harming themselves.

These are just my thoughts.

I want to know ur thoughts.If love is not the root cause of depression,then what is it?
If love is the root cause of depression,then why do people love anything after all?

:unsure:

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Depends on the definition of love, but based on your examples, I would agree. Of course one always could opt to go through life not loving anything at all, and then call oneself a lover of not loving. It's almost instinctive for man to desire and seek something, so unfortunately it can't be switched off while we're conscious.

Growing Pains

It can be a root cause, but I believe saying that it is the root cause is an oversimplification.

I've been drinking, so can't think straight enough to expand on why. I will try to later.

Tmacster1

I believe love could be a root cause because we all need love however. It's based on what the meaning of love is? There's just so many different meanings and definitions of love it's hard to determine whether or not it's a root cause.

Trevor,

crystalclear

It can be, but I also think the lack of love can cause depression.
neglect, cruelty, betrayal, passing away?
Maybe im the only one thinking it *shrugs*

Lovecraft

I have a strong tendency to a schizoid personality, and in my experience my otherwise liveable depression was made outrageously suicidal when I ended up closing off all emotional connections. (Reasoning that, as you did, without connection I have nothing to lose.)

I ended up feeling bland and everything was so monotonous that it was unbearable. No matter what I did or didn't do, how much I tried or let myself slide nothing felt different.

After my last attempt, through some insight and/or good medications (Don't really know which) I branched out again. A year, roughly, after branching out again my dad died and I was sad, sure, but the thought of killing myself didn't even occur to me.

There is, at least to me, something oddly worth living about in a genuine sadness. When I'm sad about losing something it's because there was something to have. When I was feeling bland and bored because I had nothing I didn't even have a memory to hold onto.

pooky

You are valuable
More reasons why we must not love anyone.

Say u r a doc.U have to do operation on ur son...then ur hand will shake cuz u love him.

But since that doc dosen't love his patients in reality (putting a fake smile on face dosen't count) then he is able to do what he has to do much better.

The point of my saying is we must not love others or else we will harm ourselves(and eventually others).However,we can be excellent performer of our duties by being caring,kind,affectionate...

Caring for me is the act of being concerned about someone's goodwil.

Kindness is the act of showing sympathy to others by helping them...

Affectionate is something like having close relationship with somone - ur siblings,parner,frnds...it is in parallel to love but it is in factuality not love.

compassionate for me is the ability to solve others' problems only if they actually need it.

Love for me is difficult to explain.It is a master set of all emotions.I define love as the unity of all the previous stated virtues(kindness,compassionate,affection,caring).
One should not practice any of the previous virtues with other virtues(say kindness and caring,kindness and affection...and such) or else it will become love and as stated by me it is bound to hurt all of us.

So ppl what are ur thoughts?

How would u define love?

Peace...

Zurkhardo

Humans require some level of love and companionship to thrive and live healthy. When that love is lacking or taken away from us, we invariably become negatively affected by it. A healthy social life on some level - even rudimentary - can go a long way. Why else would most us be here other than to seek out some level of validation through others, mostly like ourselves.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I don't know if it's the root cause of all depression, but I know it's one of the causes of mine. I don't feel that I will ever be loved and that makes me feel sad, hopeless, and alone.

red ribbons

I think genetics plays one part. Another is early childhood treatment of a child, things that are harmful to the psyche. Medicine is learning that the brain actually gets grooves in it from childhood things, like bully, taunting, emotional, sexual, and physical abuse and stress hormones are released. so the traumas are played over and over again by the body even if the mind doesn't remember. The good news is doctors have found out new neural pathways can go around old damage and the brain regenerates like other parts of the body. They didn't think the brain regenerated in past centuries and generations. I also believe you can have reactive depression due to life circumstances like a death, breakup or financial ruination, losing your health, etc.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Yeah especially when people lie and say they love you, want to be with you, turns out they lie about everything. It makes you wonder if you can trust anyone at all.

Sardaukar

Ironically, If I wasn't depressed then i would never have found love, what.the.fudge? Exactly my point. Life is... bizarre, at times.

pit

There should be classes called LOVE 101 to teach people how to love. What the world needs now is love sweet love. I believe Burt Bacharch said that.

gloomy

Account Closed
The idea of being able to boil something down to a 'root cause', especially something as abstract as 'love', isn't at all realistic.
The cause of depression is a chemical imbalance, which can be prolonged by an inability to handle certain life situations.

chjones21

no.

I think a lack of love is a cause of depression.

Or at least can be one cause.

Other causes of depression I tend to put down to anxiety. Depression is just another way for symptoms of anxiety to manifest - it may not seem as if it is anxiety because perhaps the person is not acting neurotically but it is the same root cause.

There is a Portishead song I think it says this: "Fear can stop you loving. Love can stop your fear."

youRprecious!

Antiquities Friend
It is the deficit of love that stuffs us up. Our "love deficits" if you like..... what we inherit from our parents when they don't really love us (if they never really wanted us) - . If we don't believe we are deeply and truly loved, I cannot see how this can not result in depression.

In relationships, when disagreements are not negotiated or confronted caringly we feel an absence of love, and can then want out. Wanting out, and getting out of what we had hoped was 'love' can result in depression - it's the disappointment, I suppose. And depression is disappointment energy turned inwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00