Doctors on Monday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonerForever

My appointment for the Doctors about my depression is on Monday and frankly, I'm terrified about it. I just wanted to know how other peoples experiences have been with them? What type of things do they ask you?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
just ask your sleeping patterns eating patterns he or she will just try to get some history as well if there is anyone else in family with depression No need to be afraid hun doc is there to help you hugs

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Are you going to see a GP or a psychiatrist?

I have had a few dealings as of late with seeing a GP and I have found them to be very supportive. They will ask what you are feeling, how long for, if you have any added stress at present basically the will base their questions on what you tell them. They will ask about whether you have had thoughts of SH or suicide and whether you have acted or wanted to act on these feelings. They will also do a depression score and will repeat it every ao often. Depending on your situation they should inform you about diferent choices that are available to you and will let you choose on your treatment. Whether this just be coming back every so often for a chat, meds, counselling or therapy and sometimes may refer you on to a psychiatrist if needed. My GP has also been helpful in chasing up different services for me.

If yiu are waiting for a psych app then I am in the same boat as you as I am going to see one on Tuesday. For me they will have some background information from my CPN and will have some knowledge about my situation but I guess they would ask you about your symptoms, thoughts, whats been going on etc.

LonerForever

I'm going to see a GP. This is the first time I've been able to do anything about this at all :/ Just been too scared. I know though, that if I don't do anything... I will end up killing myself.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
:hug: It can be scary on your first visit because you really don't knwo what to expect. I always automatically assume the worst. But it really isn't bad when you get in there. GP's are so much better than they used to be in regards to depression and mental health. If you need any more input or advice etc my pms are always open.

LonerForever

Thank you.. I haven't been to the doctors since I was 7 or 8 for anything. I always hide it and hope it goes away. I guess thats making me more nervous.

nolonger

mine just asked how long i felt I had been feeling this way, and wat my social life was like, how many friends I had. it can usually end up with a referral to a psychologist/psychiatrist.

You are very brave, but having been to many doctors and several wise therapists, please remember you are doing something very important for yourself...J

LonerForever

I keep randomly losing my temper with everyone when they haven't done anything wrong. I keep feeling like I'm going to be sick but I can't. I'm just sick with myself. Then when I think I've got it all bottled up again I just cry and cry and cry and I can't stop, like now.

That's natural when you're nervous. It'll be fine, just be open with them about how you feel, legally they can't tell anyone anything you've said so you're all set as far as trusting them goes.

Speedy

Staff Alumni
I think GP's are sort of like family doctors (I'm from the USA), and if so, I think in my experience my family doctor asked me some questions about my background (what school was like, how I'm feeling, how long I've been feeling this way, why I think I'm feeling this way, whether there's anything in particular that's bothering me, etc.). He took notes of what I said. Then, he referred me to a counseling center's psychologist by directly calling their office. Later that day, the counseling center's office called our house number and helped us schedule an appointment.. and that's where it all started.

LonerForever

I'm looking on the NHS website at the moment and there's a video on how it's diagnosed and the treatments for it. One GP on there said that usually he prescribes a course of anti depressants for a number a month in conjunction with counselling. He said usually very few people are referred to a psychiatrist. I'm not feeling so angry and confused now, more like I'm just completely drained.

Well my GP referred me to a psycho-therapist and now that's not working, I might go back in for something a little stronger than that. Although, I think doctors tend to be edgy about giving medication out, especially to people my age.

LonerForever

To be honest I really don't like the idea of opening up to a counsellor or anyone else. A part of me just wants to be given something and just to ride on the happiness till it finally goes away.. I know that's not realistic though. I'm 19 so I'm not sure there'd be any limits to what they could suggest for me

Yeah, I was the same with the opening up thing but I thought if they're legally bound to secrecy, then I may aswell go for it. I'm only 2 years younger than you but I guess it also depends on the doctor what kind of treatment you get. Tell us how it goes anyhow.

LonerForever

I've never even heard of this doctor before so I know it's no one my family have seen before. I'll be sure to post again when I get back. It's at 9 tomorrow so I should be back by 11 at the latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00