Does any depression med work?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by 11scared, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 11scared

11scared Member

I have been clinically depressed for about 10 yrs. I've been on this drug and that drug, some work for a while but I never get to the point of feeling good. Alcohol is a temporary fix that ruins my next day. I took some opiates recreationally until my source ran out. I was hosptalized for hurting myself for about a week (all insurance would pay for) in Dec and ever since the depression has just hung iver me like a dark cloud. I am on Wellbutrin, Celexa, Trazodone and Klonopin currently. I saw my doc today and asked if mary jane might help. He said un my case it would only make thungs worse. Instead he wrote a script for Adderall to add to my daily routine.
    Has anyone else used this for depression? I can only assume it may help me get out of bed in the am, but have little hope it will ultimately help me out of my depression cycling. Plus, I had to promise not to drink while taking it.
    I do not want to resort to suicide, but depression can just weigh you down so much at times, it seems like why bother living. I use cutting just to feel something when the cycle is on are you still alive? Pain reinforces that the depression exists. I thought the meds were supposed to smooth out the highs and lows? I am all over the place (not bipolar) and it is just exhausting............
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The alcohol, opiates, and recreational drugs in general will always make things far worse. Aside from the first two being very strong depressants that absolutely increase depression all of them alter reality.
    People have a misunderstanding about anti-depressants. They are to reduce depression, to make it bearable or tolerable. They are not made to nor intended to make you happy. They can make it less likely for you to go through with killing yourself and add some mood stability but there is no pill in the world that makes you happy.
    The purpose of them (and they work for this for a lot of people) is simply to make you able to continue on even a minimalist level - until you are able to make changes in your life and lifestyle that allow you to be happy. Happiness comes from the situation you make for yourself and put yourself in. Wanting to be happy so you can affect a change is unfortunately the wrong order and does not work.
    Try the adderall - it will likely give you more energy. Then one of two things will happen - you will use that energy to make changes to improve your life or you will decide it is ruining your sleep. That is really up to you.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, I can only echo what NyJmpMaster has already said. I live with someone who used to abuse opiates (take them for recreation), and I have friends who were on hard drugs for recreation-but in particular I found the ones that were suffering from depression-or any type of metal illness- got progressively worse, leading to a suicide attempt even. I myself am now on a particularly good anti depressant, but what is good for one may not always agree with another, the one I am on is called Mirtazapine. I have found that it does lift my mood, aids sleep, and generally is a good anti depressant for me, and before this one I had tried tons of others which did not agree with me very well. Good luck to you on your new medications and let us know how it goes. Give it a chance to work to its full effect, if that does not help, consult with your doctor again.
  4. DariaJane

DariaJane Active Member

Hi all,

11scared, Not to be cute but I would be scared to take all those meds you take. I cannot seem to take anything. I don't know how to help you, but being a health care professional, it seems like you are on quite a mixture. Too much in my opinion. Can you get another doctor? If it works for you, ok, but I haven't heard of that group of drugs mixed together. I cannot even take Wellbutrin, Lexapro or Cymbalta. Most antidepressants cause me problems including high blood pressure and even bleeding problems. I wish you the best, but I am surprised the doc prescribed Adderall which is an amphetamine that is bad news.

I seriously would try to get another doctor or second opinion.

Coca cola, I am interested in what you are taking, sounds like it would fit the bill. Is it an SSRI or what? I can look it up. I have been on about every antidepressant on the market, I think I am resistant to all of them. However being off them lately has made me a literal mess plus I cannot get in the hospital or see a doc at the mental health center unless I am suicidal?? How ridiculous!

I am sorry, scared11, not trying to hijack your post, I am just in a mess too. I wish you the best.

5. Davekyn

Davekyn Banned Member

Arrrggghhh lost my post ... Just be careful ... YES they can help early on ... but don't rely on them ... only meant to help you get going. Some can really &^%$ you up , so be warned. Does not surprise me any longer with so many people dxing themselves ... doctors are like a dime a dozen but still overrun.
  6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you take the medication properly hun they can help you pull out of the deep depression and if you have therapy as well then you can learn coping mechanisms so you do not have to stay on meds forever I used them when i was so very low hun and yes they kept me HERE hugs
  7. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Medications can only work if taken properly. Adding in alcohol and recreational drugs pretty much negates the good the prescription medications might have.

Beyond medications, how are your other treatments doing? Therapy and support groups, etc.?
    Are you getting proper rest, sticking to a good daily routine and schedule, eating right, exercising, and getting fresh air and sun?
  8. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Finding the right med changed my life. i know suicide seems tempting when u r suffering but please keep trying different stuff until u find what works for u. it is so worth it.
  9. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

They've never made me happy or positive. The two different ones I've tried just made me feel emotionless. I was even unable to cry. You just have to find the right one, I think. It takes a long time. I'm off them at the moment but I'm going to ask my doctor to let me try something different.
  10. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Hey Op,

I'm currently on Wellbutrin, lamactil, cymbalta, abilify, and trazodone. Right now I'm ok, but am still needing to gradually up my dose of welby to the regular amount. And I've been at this medication runaround for 8 years. Just keep hassling your psych til you hit the right combo. And yeah, avoid the booze, it makes the meds not work. I know this from experience. Adderall will give you a boost, make you feel motivated and good. But it's not a long term one. When I was on it I sure got a lot of stuff done!
  11. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I've taken adderall for ADHD, it does help, but it is VERY temporary. Adderall also increases dopamine and norepinephrine (a lot like wellbutrin). That just all sounds bonkers to me...I'd be out of my gord because I have type 1 bipolar, and those can make me manic as hell.
    It can take a long, long time to find the right med. I have literally taken every SSRI, SNRI, and NDRI except paxil. Cymbalta is the only one that worked for me, and we only just found it a month ago after 4 years of trying mood stabilizers and antidepressants.
    It's like night and day. I want to live again, it's amazing. So it CAN happen. It just takes a while sometimes. I wish you the best of luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.