• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

does anyone blame mental health for their daily "wrong" actions

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
How many people have blamed Mental health for their daily "wrong" actions??

I used to blame everything I did wrong on my mental health, if i was in a relationship and got caught out flirting or sending texts to other women id always blame my mental health, "my mental health made me do it"

if i hurt someone "it was my mental health that made me do it"

every time i made a poor choice i would blame my mental health.....

I then had a wake up call!!!

BOLLOX its not my mental health its me!!! im the one making poor choices and using my mental health as a cop out excuse!!

what I am saying is that we all have choices, we all know right from wrong, we all know and are in control of what we are doing! we cant use excuses for our actions!!

sent with love and guidence xx

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
How many people have blamed Mental health for their daily "wrong" actions??

I used to blame everything I did wrong on my mental health, if i was in a relationship and got caught out flirting or sending texts to other women id always blame my mental health, "my mental health made me do it"

if i hurt someone "it was my mental health that made me do it"

every time i made a poor choice i would blame my mental health.....

I then had a wake up call!!!

BOLLOX its not my mental health its me!!! im the one making poor choices and using my mental health as a cop out excuse!!

what I am saying is that we all have choices, we all know right from wrong, we all know and are in control of what we are doing! we cant use excuses for our actions!!

sent with love and guidence xx

I think the only exception to this rule is if you are manic as you lose all inhibition. Luckily I've never had full blown mania but I have been hypomanic and things can get out of control pretty quickly. I got carried away with speaking to a guy through whatsapp. I enjoyed the thrill but I soon stopped when my mood was back to normal because I'd never, ever cheat on my boyfriend (the convos weren't dirty or anything) I realised when I was back to "normal" what I had done. Was it just bad behaviour or was it the hypomania? I'd say a bit of both. I knew it was wrong but the hypomania made me enjoy the thrill.

In general I tend not to blame bad behaviour on my mental health. If I am wrong, I am wrong.

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
I think the only exception to this rule is if you are manic as you lose all inhibition. Luckily I've never had full blown mania but I have been hypomanic and things can get out of control pretty quickly. I got carried away with speaking to a guy through whatsapp. I enjoyed the thrill but I soon stopped when my mood was back to normal because I'd never, ever cheat on my boyfriend (the convos weren't dirty or anything) I realised when I was back to "normal" what I had done. Was it just bad behaviour or was it the hypomania? I'd say a bit of both. I knew it was wrong but the hypomania made me enjoy the thrill.

In general I tend not to blame bad behaviour on my mental health. If I am wrong, I am wrong.
That is really good food for thought because I was exactly the same as you! i would do exactly the same but as soon as my mood stabilised I would stop all contact until I had a hyper mania episode and start again for a few days!!! and once again blame my mental health!! xx

Bobmrb

Only me πŸ™‰πŸ™ˆπŸ™Š
Jay,
You are right. Mental health should not be an excuse for things that we have done wrong. But it does tend to cloud ones view of things and sometimes you can't see things logically as a result if your mental illness.
So although mental health is not an excuse, it is factor that we should be aware of.

LOSTINSIGHT

I left the grill on for an hour, it was my mental health, severe anxiety ocd stuck in my head .thankfully the fire alarm went off.
Our mental health is intrinsically linked to who we are.the ego and pride prevents us learning/accepting and owning up to things.
When it all sinks in we can attack ourselves ,its happened to me last year .im still hiding how serious it is .
I have myself in a cravas with no escape .trauma has ruled my life unconsciously.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$255.00