Does anyone have ARFID? ("picky eating")

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandleLight

Does anyone have Avoidant/ Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)? I don't know if I have it or not. People with ARFID tend to be very limited in what they are willing to eat, and have had significant weight loss, but it isn't intentional weight loss and there are no body image issues. It's not anorexia nervosa. Just wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with this and what your experience with ARFID has been?

Thanks.

Snake on the Moon

I have not been diagnosed with it per say, but I do have morbid fears of eating certain foods. That is mostly due to the fact that when I eat them, I get sick. But that also means that I don't trust people to cook food for me either. I read the ingredients on things that I buy often, and repetitively (even when I know what's already in them.)
So far, my food allergies seem to be my body's response to extreme anxiety and stress according to my therapist. But that doesn't mean that I'm not terrified to eat them. Wheat, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, dairy, cranberries, celery, all of these things and more I will avoid like they are the black plague.

Libbyontheclimb

Does anyone have Avoidant/ Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)? I don't know if I have it or not. People with ARFID tend to be very limited in what they are willing to eat, and have had significant weight loss, but it isn't intentional weight loss and there are no body image issues. It's not anorexia nervosa. Just wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with this and what your experience with ARFID has been?

Thanks.
I'm an extremely picky eater. Unfortunately I don't have the weight loss though. I don't like trying foods I don't like or haven't eaten before.

Growing Pains

I've never been diagnosed, but I've always been an extremely picky eater. To the point where it did led to atypical anorexia. There have been points in my life where I would survive off just one food (for a while oatmeal, soup previously, yogurt at one point, etc) due to not wanting to eat/try new foods. Recovery led me to discovering some new foods (as I would crave the most random, off the wall things), but even now I'm still extremely picky. It leads to weight gain for me sometimes, as most recently the food was brownies. :/

Silverpuddle

Some kind of geek
SF Author
SF Supporter
I've never been diagnosed with ARFID, but I have a horror of eating meat. I've been a vegetarian since I was 16. It's never really caused me any trouble, except in an inpatient eating disorder unit where they said my vegetarianism was an eating disorder and forced me to eat meat. It was horrible.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've never been diagnosed with ARFID, but I have a horror of eating meat. I've been a vegetarian since I was 16. It's never really caused me any trouble, except in an inpatient eating disorder unit where they said my vegetarianism was an eating disorder and forced me to eat meat. It was horrible.
Seriously? They have plenty of non-meat options to sub for the meat. It should be respected like they do for religion or allergies.

Prussia

SF Supporter
I honestly didnt know there was a disorder for it, I just assumed I was a picky-eater. I'll have to research it more to know, but all my life I've lived on like 3 kinds of foods. Had a lot of ridicule over it and trying to try new things but why bother when I know what foods I like already? Because of this, the only way I can get enough to eat during the day is if I eat like 4-5 mini-meals a day rather than 3 large ones. Still can't gain weight even though I pretty much only eat carbs and sugars. :P
Let me know when you learn more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00