does depression get worse with sickness?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by undercoverlover, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

i have clinical depression and lately ive been okay but since i got a viral illness (respiratory) ive been much more depressed than usual, wanting to take my own life, and just very sad and crying a lot. i was just wondering if sickness can worsen depression, seeing as i was okay before i caught this illness.

2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

definitely - being sick can make you physically miserable which can easily feed in to your mental state - just adds one more thing to the stack

had a virus a few weeks ago that gave me a fever for 2 weeks - since it was viral the doc told me there was nothing i could do except wait it out

hope yours doesn't hang around that long

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Oh yes physical illness can be a trigger for more depression exteme pain i am in is causing my depression to worsen as well hugs to you

4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I used to cry when I got sick. I used to get something like bronchitis. And I would be very emotional. The good news is that when the physical illness is over you should emotionally be back to where you were before you got sick. I hope you feel better soon :hug:

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, because it wears down your whole body, and can affect your mind too. I already have all of my energy zapped from depression, so it can be extra hard when you are sick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.