Does your depression make you feel stupid?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by mynameisbrian, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameisbrian

mynameisbrian Active Member

I think the thing I hate the most about my depressions is I can't think. I feel really dumb (not to mention boring to be around because of that). I can't make good decisions or think things through. Reading comprehension and focus isn't good. Learning new things is difficult. Forgetting things is easy.

Nothing ever comes to mind so I never know what to say or how to say it...I usually try not to say much. Just writing this was a major strain on my brain and an effort.

This really gets in the way of trying to live or improve your life. :frusty:

Anyone else get frustrated with this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

That is the issue with depression - and th e difference between depressed and sad.

Depression makes everything much harder and everything require far more effort even though you have far less energy to give when truly depressed. That is why everything seems to much and people that do not understand depression cannot comprehend why you do not "snap out of it" or "it is not that big of thing". When depressed getting dressed in the morning is a big thing (at least for me).

I hope it helps a tiny bit to know that this is not unique to you - it is very typical. So far as ways to fix it- meds help some people, taking small steps - very small (getting dressed, go for walk, write a post on here) add some small confidence sometimes so you can see difficult and impossible are different and with confidence sometimes you can try a bit more...

I recommend always trying to push the effort when depressed as the fastest way out of deep depression.That said I am very very aware it is easier to recommend than to do.

Take Care

Ben

3. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

Being stupid makez me feel stupid

4. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

For me depression makes me eel empty and numb inside nothing seems right, i feel restless all the time i can't settle my concentration and thinking memory is not great and really at the moment i don't care if lived or if i died i just dont care. my pysch dr can lock me if she wants for a few days but nothing changes how im feeling x

5. katrina77

katrina77 Guest

I know what you mean, I have trouble making any decisions, or even thinking straight. Even doing simple tasks seems impossible anymoe.

6. skinnylove911

One minute i can be thinking logical and rational and the next I am the complete opposite.
    but I do find distracting helps.

7. elevatorpass

elevatorpass Active Member

I embrace stupidity ... makes me realise I know nothing...

8. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No, I don't think it makes me feel stupid...I just hate that I have no focus on anything, and the depression seems to cloud everything. I'm socially isolated because of my depression...I need to socialize with people, but the depression drives people away...so it's a lose/lose situation. You shouldn't feel stupid for things that are beyond your control :hug:

9. ghostperson

ghostperson Member

i feel stupid.. cause i know what is right and what i should do, but the crazy thing is.. I'm just stubborn to do the right thing...

10. inhibit

inhibit Member

Yes, and no.

I think it is my anxiety that makes me feel stupid, and my depression that worsens it.

I always have been an honor roll student (mostly A's), it's just when I am told/implied I need to do better by my family. It makes me incredibly anxious, and my depression feeds into it making me feel absolutely worthless.

So I try to make good grades, but I don't try too hard anymore because I know I am never going to be good enough for them.

11. skinnylove911

Please bare in mind when you are depressed, you sleeping is all over the place and this can affect your mood, your concentrations and if you a lot on your mind this can play huge part in how your feeling physically and mentally x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.