Don't know where to put this but...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by texaskitty, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I am on my 4th day without a bath. Clothes are dirty. Is this normal?

Still feeling sick, I did see my therapist yesterday and she made a couple suggestions to get help. But that requires phone calls and thinking. I can't seem to think.

Need to get meds refilled too. Also requires phone call.

Anyone relate or can offer advice?

Thank you, Angie
    2 people like this.
  2. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Angie, I can relate, I do it for several different reasons, I do not shower as often as I am used to, I try to save money, I also extend the length of time I wear clothes, I wash by hand now, I have never owned a washer or dryer, even when I went to the laundromat I brought my clothes home and hung them out! I save over $60 a month just on clothes cleaning! I shower when I have to, to my standards not someone else, This is a change for me, a drastic one I use to shower 3 times a day depending on what I was doing, In the morning upon arising, after getting home from work at times, then at night before retiring for the night!

I believe that you would feel better with showers more often, unless your clothes are real dirty due to work or physical exercise, I do not believe you should have to change them as often as some do, under clothes are a different story, re: personal hygiene and odors, I do most of my orders ie food supplies paying bills etc. using the internet. as little human contact as possible,
    2 people like this.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I just saw in chat you said you had a bath. Sometimes when we are sick even the simplest of tasks can see daunting so I will say yes it is normal. If I am down in the dumps I go a few days without washing and admittedly only had a shower this morning because I was going for an X- ray. It had been about 4 days as well. Yup, pretty normal but glad you were able to do it in the end hun.

Now we must work on your refill, have you made that phone call yet?
  4. Lazarusz

Lazarusz Member

It does not matter how depressed I am. I always clean my room, take a bath, shave, cut my hair myself, read and eat.
    I am not a metrosexual, it's just that I've got this obsession with order and cleanliness.
    It's too bad that most of you take meds. That's a lot of money. I want to go insane, slowly, in a natural way and FREE.
  5. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I don't know if it's normal, I guess so. It's more common than I once thought. I had a talk about it in chat with several members before. Each was able to shower, but struggled horribly with the task daily. However, if they had to go to work it became a necessity. I do the same, my hygiene is bad. I shower for work on thurs, friday, sat and sunday. But then I wont shower again for a few days unless I am going out somewhere.

I thought maybe that it is more common with people who are depressed. It probably is but I know from a lot of people that they do the same. At a family dinner recently, my uncle's girlfriend told everyone that he went 4 days without a shower on that week. He smokes too. Tbh the response was more "who gives a shit" than "you are disguisting." I guess the thought was if you are not doing anything or going out whats the point in showering. So I suppose it is kind of normal.

If you struggle with it try to get it out of the way in the early hours of the morning. It will definitely make you feel better. You'll be more energetic and feeling fresh throughout the day.
  6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Texaskitty, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. It's hard to keep up with everything sometimes. ((hug)) As Petal said, I hope you make that phone call so you can get the meds refilled.

If I am physically sick, bathing, clean clothes, cleaning up just don't get done. When I'm depressed/upset those things slip for a while, but I'm aware that I need to and just don't feel like it. Cicada makes a great point that having a shower/bath makes us feel more energized and a little better. A clean start? (sorry)

I am not sure what kind of "not feeling well" you are experiencing - physical or emotional - both have an effect. ((hug))

When I am well physically and emotionally, I organize things so life is "easier" in general, and especially if things go sideways. My ways of making sure things are easier:

- lots of underwear and socks, so there's almost always something clean (if there isn't, I know I'm in real distress and need to see doctor)
    - couple of sets of easy clothes to wear - easy to get into, comfy, look okay but not dressy dressy
    - baths/showers - part of my daily routine (shower then dressing is the official "start" to my day)
    - stock a few pre-made single serving frozen entrees
    - cook and freeze single-meals of my own soup or stew - one dish, one pot
    - lots of juice boxes, fizzy water/sodas, dried fruit, and frozen fruit
    - ice cubes and frozen fruit-flavored cubes
    - schedule of chores, to do stuff - and amount of time they take; pick and choose or at least plan
    - sleep routine - for me, optimal is bed by 11, read until midnight, up next day at 7 or 8

Maybe something I do could help...If not now, maybe down the road to keep things steady when this situation has settled.

I do hope you feel better soon! *lots of hugs*
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I wouldn't say it is abnormal. It just sounds like you are really depressed and maybe lack motivation too because of this. I wore the same pants and shirt for 2 weeks once, I still showered but I guess I didn't care how I looked because I didn't leave the house. Now people call me OCD because I shower and change clothes every day. I don't do much anymore, and I need some sort of routine to stay sane. I am sorry you are struggling right now, I hope things get easier for you soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.