dr appointment tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by homelessmk, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

i have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to talk about my meds. they think i have either borderline or bipolar. i really just want to find out what's going on. but at the same time i'm nervous. and i dont' want to tell my parents. i mean, i'm 19, and i'm going to the doctor at the university clinic, but he's still a professional. but i can see him for free, and that means that i don't have to spend money yet or let my parents know. i've been on antidepressants for three years now, but i'm still not doing very well. and the doctor (i've been to see him before) seems like a very harsh man. i'm really nervous, and afraid that he won't believe that there's something wrong with me....

2. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

It's normal to be nervous, it's your Life after all, and it means you care about it. To me it's a good sign. What makes him believe you're bdp or bi-po? It's not exactly the same thing. Were you properly tested? Anyway you're very right to seek pro help. Maybe the doc isn't as harsh as you think. The doc who's been my generalist for 5 years, I found him harsh. He's actually very caring and effective. And it doesn't work with him, change.

you said you on AD since you were 16? Don't minor require the parents' agreement for AD? Just wondering. Don't you really wanna talk to your parents? Or a family member? It's hard to go alone through that all, but it asks twice that energy to hide it.

Post us how it went. (((hugs)))

3. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

my parents know that i'm on antidepressants, but i didn't tell them about my mood swings because i was afraid if they knew how manic i got sometimes that they wouldn't believe that i was really depressed. i want to talk to them, but they haven't been very accepting up to this point. they think that depression isn't really a physical disease, and that i should just learn to get over it. it took a couple years to convince them to put me on antidepressants. now i don't know how they'll handle it if i have to switch medication.
    i wasn't properly tested... i don't know what that means. i don't think i'm bipolar. but the screening tests for borderline personality disorder always indicate that i am 98% certain to have bpd. I answer all of the questions (or sometimes all but one) positively. i know that there's something wrong with me, and i really want some answers. i'm hoping that i'll get some answers tomorrow. my appointment's at 4. i'll post with what happens. thanks so much for the encouragement!

4. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

You're very welcome!

I was tested freely, in a center, medico-psychological center. There I can be followed. And treated. Your parents are an old generations? Yeah, minds need to open up, that doesn't mean you have to give up on yourself, there's still something to do for you. If you're tested DMS IV I believe, you'll have a diagnosis, and a treatement adapted to your needs, and a therapy adapted to your needs. :hugtackles:

5. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

what do you mean tested dms iv?

6. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

It's one of the tools the psys use to refine what you could have. They call it a sort of check up, to see what's wrong, and how to get it better. Well, it was used a very positive way. To improve.

7. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

how do you get somewhere to take one of the tests?

8. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I don't know how it works in the USA.... But I gues there're hospitals, free consultations, free familial plannings, free medico-psychological center where you can be followed? A psychologist can do them, a psychiatrist too.

Can someone who lives in the states can help a little more?

Also, I know there're numbers on the site (help links), maybe you could call one of them, and they would indicate a center close from here you live.

9. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

okay, thank you. yeah, it would have to be free. we're not too well off, so i can't really afford to go to a psychiatrist....

10. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Yeah... I know, that's why I go to the center. But I actually like it better, it's more human. Good luck, feel free to post more.

11. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

had my appointment. i met with him for about ten minutes or so. i don't really know how long it was. i mentioned a screening test that was linked to my counselor's webpage. it had come up with the results post traumatic stress disorder, bipolar, and borderline personality as possibilities for me. so i just mentioned those to him after he had asked me about my symptoms. he said he didn't think it sounded like borderline to him, but that it was probably bipolar. then he prescribed abilify (used to treat bipolar, according to him) that i will start later when i can get the prescription filled... he said it should help.... i hope he's right!

12. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Good, it's a big step you've done. I hope it'll help you, but please keep being followed by professionals, therapy is of great help.

13. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

thanks so much for the encouragement! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.