ECT or cold turkey off venlafaxine/lamictal and onto nortriptyline.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by greywool, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greywool

greywool Member

hey guys. been in hospital over a month now and nothing is pulling me out of this depression. many attempts, one diagnosed as dead. alas i am still here. and the doc has given me the above options to decide on. neither of which sound appealing to me. they would like to know by monday (today is friday here). i can always ask for more time, but they are keen to get going with something before i do myself in.

would love to hear from
    -anyone cold turkey'd off venlafax (have tapered befoer and KNOW it will be shitty)
    -anyone on nortriptyline and how you find it
    -anyone who has had ECT pos or neg experiences.

to be very honest i am scared shitless of either option. both of which will be delivered in acute inpatient hospital care.

i need some personal experiences to put next to the scientific stuff.
    any and all help would be greatly welcomed.

cheers

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

ECT Should be last option hun i have seen positive effects from it though from people i know that have tried it. What does your doc think i would go with meds first honestly and if that does not work then ECT there are other options as well Inpatient treatment for sure is necessary with both treatments and i hope they have therapy as well for you to take while in hospital and a follow up plan when you are released so you do not attempt again hugs to you

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If you are scared, that is a good sign...and about your options...the first question is whether you value your pdoc...if not, get a second opinion, however you have to do it...what did s/he say? also, if you are going to withdraw from a medication, why does it have to be 'cold-turkey' if you are getting care? Is there something they can give you to abate the awfulness of the withdrawals (even hypnosis and acupuncture is better than cold turkey)...how long will the withdrawal take? On nortriptyline, what are the side effects and when can you expect to see if the medication is effective? Venlafaxine (effexor) is usually not recommended to go cold turkey...tapering should be gradual...Nortriptyline: is a tricyclic antidepressant and according to what I remember may take 3 weeks to see any changes...how will they be monitoring you during this time? I am sure others can suggest other questions, but these are the ones that come to mind...also, is there someone who can attend these meetings with your pdoc with you? I know I turn into a moron during those times and maybe someone else would hear things better/differently than you might...all the best and please PM me if you want someone to process this with...I have not taken any of these meds but I can ask others who have more information than I do if you would like (e.g. a dear friend who is an MD and pharm)

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am not sure why they would stop lamictal without tapering, particularly if you are in the hospital. I stopped it without tapering at home when they changed seizure medication because I was too cheap to refill a prescription and pay a $20 copay to "quit" taking it and it was not horrid, just not a good idea.....

nortriptiline I took as a migraine pain medication for a few months that was ineffective for me - had no side effects, good effects or bad effects to me.

Sorry , no personal experience on the ECT , but it is very different than 30 years ago and any Dr that is discussing it should be able to explain it really clearly so you are satisfied and when doing your own research you can make a decision ... hope you get what is best for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.