ECT - thoughs and experiences?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by twistedwhispers, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

I used to be totally against this. Because of the memory loss and that it doesn't last.

I am about at the end of my rope. So, I am thinking. What the hell? Give it a try.

Has anyone had electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) or known someone that has? How was your or their experience?

Thank you!

**sorry for the typo in the title........should be "thoughts"

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi although i have never had ECT i have seen people or know people who have received it with great benefits. Yes there may be some memory loss but not all experiance that.
    I think it is used as a last resort so if you have tried everything and it is not working then ECT may help you. Go to hospital and see where treatments will be done and how so you are not so nervous it is usually done as an inpatient basis so the doc can monitor your progress hugs

3. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

Thank you for responding. It makes sense to check it out so I am not so nervous. I have read about how they do them online & I think I could handle it.

I will give it some more thought and also talk to my doctor when I go in for my annual next month.

Thanks again (((hugs)))

4. pithrania

pithrania Active Member

5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I had 5 rounds myself. A bit of an unusual case to have had it so young but I'd failed to respond to a number of medications and I reported feeling better after an attempt which caused me to seize up something terrible.

The worst part for me, really, was getting the bloody IV in - I have hard to find veins. So really the worst part is nothing worse than what's required to do a blood sample in my opinion.

The hospital I was at didn't have any dedicated facilities - I doubt any do anymore really - so the procedure was done in the anesthesia recovery room itself. They inserted an IV, spent a bit of time getting the electrodes in place and when they were ready I'd feel a creeping wave of numbness coming out of the IV and flowing up my arm while the mask started to smell something a bit like pungent and slightly putrid garlic. There was about a half second of discomfort then. I'd say it feels like falling asleep, but against your will. The brain seems to realize that this isn't quite right and demands you resist and stay awake. That's over so fast you can't really get anxious or anything though. The creeping sensation from the IV quickly hits your chest and the feeling is now all across your body, and with that you're out.

After what felt like a good hour or two's sleep I woke up groggy. It was a pleasant sense, like waking in your bed a bit tired but knowing you can afford to sleep in. After what felt like 15-30 minutes (I have no idea how long I was out or sitting there semi-conscious come to think of it, but that's the feeling I got.) I'd get up and ask to be returned to the ward. Often this involved being told I was up too early and should lie down or at least take a wheelchair back to the ward. I've always had a bit of drug resistance that made me difficult to work with.

It worked for me, but for a week at best; after that I quickly fell back into my depression. The doctor and I agreed to terminate the treatment simply because it wasn't meaningfully effective for me.

I can't really say anything bad about it. Perhaps it did mess with my memory some, but I can't really tell. I've always had a poor memory and especially so when in a depressive episode.

The gel they use in your hair can be a bit of a bother though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.