Electro Convulsive Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shock

Hi all,

So with none of the anti-depressants working my doctor suggested I maybe try ECT. I asked him how it works and he said no one knows. I asked him if there were any side effects and he says there are none. That sounds too good to be true.

Has anyone done ECT before. Sounds really scarry

OhneDich

Hi... well, I have some articles about ECT... studied it for university...

There are some side effects, though. If you want to read it, send me a pm and I'll send it to you :)

It does sound scary, but when people are refractory to medications, ECT is considered a good option in some cases...

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
ECT is actually good for depression, but its major draw back is memory loss.
A friend of mine's father had it over a long period of time and couldnt practice as a doctor anymore because his short term memory was so bad.
Think long and hard about your options.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
used as a last resource really for hard to treat depression and as said memory loss is one side effect of procedure but i have seen it help some so carefully way the pros and cons okay

OhneDich

I just got my psychiatry book, let me write what I found out:

Side Effects:
Effects on the nervous system - loss of memory (75% patients say it's the worst side effect associated with the ECT) After 6 months of threatment, it usually gets better.
Fractures because of the induced seizures during the ECT - they usually use muscle relaxant for that.
Muscle pain, headaches.

That's what I could find in the book :) hope it helps...

peacelovingguy

My grandmother had it.

It really is the last last resort and you'd have a lot of options before trying that.

you'd have to be clinically depressed to the worse degree for a long time - for the docs to consider it.

There is actually a trial in the UK and other nations with a pacemaker which is connected to a region of the brain - numbered whatever - and small electrodes are surgically implanted (you are awake when its done) and you wear the pacemaker.

This sounds like a modern version of the very crude process of ECT which just blasts the entire body and brain with a massive jolt of electricity.

Even MDMA i(E)s being used to treat depression - plus Ketamine (trials are ongoing) - I'd take that and the new technique WAY before ECT

If I was hospitalised and could barely speak my own name - sure ECT is worth a bash - and modern techniques with muscle relaxant - you should be OK.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

So with none of the anti-depressants working my doctor suggested I maybe try ECT. I asked him how it works and he said no one knows. I asked him if there were any side effects and he says there are none. That sounds too good to be true.

Has anyone done ECT before. Sounds really scarry
Before you let your doctor conduct the ECT on you, why don't you try getting out from your house and do a long run; run until you feel very exhausted and go home and sleep, then tomorrow,do the same thing.. Try running long distance for a week and tell me if it works or not.. If it works slightly, then drop the topic on ECT. ECT got side effects and doctors will not tell you what it is because they don't want to scare you.
I have failed medical therapy because i am allergic to everything and CBT also failed numerous times.. almost on ECT but i refused.. (I was an ex-medical student and i know what an ECT really does).. tried pulling myself out from bed and making myself run until very exhausted, go home and sleep, then try again tomorrow and within a week, i am slightly better.. Try my method first, ok..? and report back.. thank you.. :hugtackles:

I had ECT done last fall. I had a good 8 sessions done. Maybe 9. The benefit of it lasted maybe 2 weeks, then it was back to suicidal thoughts all the time. Messed up my memory quite a bit. 2010 is a messy blur to me. Just as well tho, I'd like to forget the past 15 years.

Anneinside

I am currently having weekly maintenance ECT. I believe I have had about 10 treatments so far this time. Yes I have some memory loss but if I am reminded and then I can usually recall it. However when I am depressed I have a hard time making memories. I read my old journals and everything is new. I will continue having ECT as long as my pdoc agrees because it does relieve the depression.

I have minor memory loss and since they increased a pain killer I don't have any more headaches afterwards. I don't have sore muscles and with modern procedures people don't break bones or get physical injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00