Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ziva, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziva

Ziva Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have epilepsy? I have both Grand Mal Seizures and Complex Partial Seizures and since I only had seven Grand Mal Seizures in my life, the seventh being in 2008, the Complex Partial Seizures were misdiagnosed as anxiety since the main symptom of the Complex Partial Seizures were an overwhelming sense of fear I would get that I could not control. These Complex Partial Seizures went misdiagnosed as anxiety for many years until 2008, when I had a Grand Mal Seizure. I had been seeing pediatrics neurology all my life, and when I told the neurologist about my overwhelming sense of fear I would get that was associated with the Complex Partial Seizures, he misdiagnosed me as having anxiety and put me on medication for anxiety that didn't work, and no matter how mnay times I told him that the medication wasn't working, he didn't listen. It wasn't until I had the Grand Mal Seizure in 2008 that I got referred to adult neurology since I was 18 years old, and when I said about the overwhelming senses of fear to the adult neurologist, he said that they weren't anxiety attacks, they were seizures. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this experience with being misdiagnosed for a long time despite telling the same story over and over and over again.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It has happened yes it took a long time to get doctor to listen I am glad you kept pushing for answers and found a competent doctor to treat you now hugs

3. Ziva

Ziva Well-Known Member

Thank you, you have been a great help :)

4. Fluffypingu

Fluffypingu Safety and Support Chat Pro SF Supporter

yeah i have epilepsy i have drop seizures at first they said they were non epileptic attzack dissorder now they say its that and epilepsy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.