erm...hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here (obviously). I will fess up right off the bat and say this isn't the sort of forum I've ever been on.

A bit about me: I am...in my mid-late twenties, and I've lived with migraine of one sort (from abdominal as an adolescent to chronic) for over half my life. I'm currently in a master's program, have just applied to a small selection of doctoral programs, and have spent every other week of the past two months battling serious pain and a growing attachment to alcohol. 2009 wasn't really my year, and I guess 2010 isn't shaping up quite the way I hoped. A while ago I dug myself out from under almost a year of daily pain, but lately I feel like that "digging out" part has never really stopped.

I used to like hiking, literature, bad science fiction, and baking. Lately I've struggled to finish work or research, and ... I don't know. I'm looking for something the neurologist doesn't have, I guess. I am staunchly atheistic and I haven't got any chickens to sacrifice, so I'm all ears.

I hope my sharing some of my story here will do some good for some of us.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I am sorry you are in so much constant pain Have you tried meds to prevent the migraine from starting sandomigrain or something in this line I know it is hard but sometime if we just try the things we use to like that trying will bring back some joy to us. I hope to hear from you again soon hugs. What does neurologist say about all this pain any clue why it is happening. Have you had test MRI Cat scans hugs.

Ravenwing

Hello, and welcome to SF. I live with chronic, intractable pain, so can totally understand where you are coming from. Good to have you hear. Hope to hear a little more from you when you feel ready. :hug:

Kiba

Welcome to SF! I'm sorry you have been having suck bad headaches.. :( I get migraines myself, but not as often. :hug: I hope you will find some friends here. We are all pretty understanding. Also invite you to join Chat sometime if you wish.

Hey all.

Thanks for the welcome!

I am around still.

In response to some of your queries:

Yes, I've been in touch with a neurologist (well, several over the years). Migraine runs in my family, although not generally this severe, and I've been on various medications and therapies for a while now--haven't seen that book before though--thanks, may71.

I've had a couple MRIs (docs were alarmed that the pain clusters in one spot) which turned up zilch. Every once in a while we shake up the meds and see what falls out, but thus far no joy, and generally the process of adjusting to/working out a new regimen has ugly side effects.

I've tried various herbal remedies and get some temporary relief with pressure points, massage, etc, but meh. At this point, even when I'm healthy, I feel like I'm just waiting for the pain to come back.

Off to grade student essays. :later:

Well, this was a pleasant surprise. I'm new to these forums, too (I haven't even posted an introduction yet) and was a little worried I might be much older or in a different sort of situation than others here. Yours was the first introduction I clicked on, and the similarities startled me.

I recently turned 30 and am about to start on a PhD program as well, and (also like you) have been struggling through a few challenging years. I too have a chronic illness that likes to keep me locked away, and atheist-me has no church or community to find solace in (or shake my fist at).

I'm not sure why I joined, other than to find some feeling of connection with others who have at least thought about death as an escape, or who at least will understand what it's like to feel the validity of that option. It looks as though I chose the right post to click.

I wish I had helpful tips around migraines, but I'd have no idea where to begin. And your post reminded me of something I read once by Heidegger. He said that we have love, pain, and death, and that the greatest of these is pain. I don't think everyone would understand this. You, I imagine, do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$255.00