Escaping For A While?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmB

Absolute Peach!
So, we all have days where we want to run and start a new life and just live away from everything, leave it all behind... right?

I'm not saying I'm gonna ditch my old life, but I'm certainly thinking about "getting away" for a week. Those days where I wish I wasn't here have become every day and I know if I don't do *something*, I'll snap.

I was wondering about the best way to do this, or if it's even possible considering the current situation. I'm in the UK, so it's possible to move around. I want a week somewhere where I can pretend to be someone else and just live as me, no one else. I wouldn't leave my phone behind for safety reasons, but I certainly wouldn't touch it unless I needed to.

I'm thinking if I worked my butt off, it'd be possible. I've never really travelled on my own, though. So...

What's your advice for doing something like this?

Is it the right time or should I try and wait? Am I right to do it altogether?

Has anyone done anything like this? If so what was your experience of it?

I'm at a point where my daydreams aren't enough to keep me sane... so I'm hoping this will help. Any other advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Sending hugs

Em

Am I right to do it altogether?
I think it's a great idea if you can do it the right way.

A lot depends on your budget and what you want on your vacation.

In principle, you could travel internationally
https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/travel/where-can-i-go-on-holiday-from-the-uk-550740

...but even just going to a hotel very close to home could be very relaxing.

It might be good to ask about this on a travel forum, but unfortunately the one major travel forum that I know about has shut down. You could still look at some articles on the "countries" (aka thorn tree) forums at lonelyplanet.com

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I think it's a great idea if you need a bit of 'me' time.

Hotels etc are beginning to open up now so it should be pretty easy to organise. Pick somewhere easy to get to if using public transport. Think about if you'd like a hotel, B&B or maybe self catering. Booking.com have a fair amount of self catering studio flats You can rent for short breaks. Make sure it's somewhere that you'll feel safe.

Make sure you tell your family where you're going. You don't want them to worry and it's really embarrassing when you get reported missing and the police find you (been there, done that. Not to be recommended).

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey
It would depend on you. If you can go and stay safe, I'd say go for it. Airbnb's and hotels are open now. You can go nearer or further. An hour away is in the countryside and isn't so expensive to get there. A break is always good...

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I think a vacation is a great idea if you feel you can do it safely right now. I'm not sure how bad things are over there. If you're nervous about traveling alone, I would just go to a fairly nearby town you haven't been to, or somewhere in the countryside like Inno suggested. I'm sure hotels are probably cheap right now.

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Hi @may71 , @Sunspots ,@Innocent Forever and @sinking_ship

Thank you all for the suggestions! Definitely not somewhere to expensive as I'm still a student! But yeah, these are great ideas. I think somewhere near enough to not cost me a fortune and worry my mum, but far enough away to get some distance (and I will of course tell my mum! Haha!). I'll be checking those links and sites - thank you!

Sending hugs

Em

Daphna

Ninja of light
So, we all have days where we want to run and start a new life and just live away from everything, leave it all behind... right?

I'm not saying I'm gonna ditch my old life, but I'm certainly thinking about "getting away" for a week. Those days where I wish I wasn't here have become every day and I know if I don't do *something*, I'll snap.

I was wondering about the best way to do this, or if it's even possible considering the current situation. I'm in the UK, so it's possible to move around. I want a week somewhere where I can pretend to be someone else and just live as me, no one else. I wouldn't leave my phone behind for safety reasons, but I certainly wouldn't touch it unless I needed to.

I'm thinking if I worked my butt off, it'd be possible. I've never really travelled on my own, though. So...

What's your advice for doing something like this?

Is it the right time or should I try and wait? Am I right to do it altogether?

Has anyone done anything like this? If so what was your experience of it?

I'm at a point where my daydreams aren't enough to keep me sane... so I'm hoping this will help. Any other advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Sending hugs

Em
Camping?

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Ooh, a holiday sounds like fun!

I have not done much lone travelling. I went on a tour with a group for 10 days and it was nice not to have to worry about finding hotels or restaurants or do the driving. Leaders were very knowledgeable.

There are probably a few ways you could do a holiday in the UK - lots to do and see depending on your interests (seaside, art galleries, shows, villages/Lake District, Stratford/Shakespeare, Stonehenge...) Where would you like to go and what sort of things do you enjoy doing? Are you a beach resort person or a museum and history buff? Maybe you’d want to be in an area where you’d see birds or other wild animals? Would you want to shop for souvenirs or just soak up the atmosphere?

I’m sure you could head somewhere on your own. I would want to make sure that there is good, safe accommodation and local transportation; good eateries; depending on where you go and what you enjoy doing, maybe some local tours with small groups, or places that you can wander on your own.

*sigh!* Now I’m getting itchy feet! :)

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I have seen some cheaper places on Airbnb but the place I was thinking of is fully booked. Are you looking for a home or a hotel? I personally don't like travel lodges if that's what they're called. I'm thinking places like hour away beaches or hour away peaks. The peaks aren't expensive by train. The beach towns I don't know...
Good luck!

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Ahh, I wish! I don't have any supplies though, and I think it'd cost me more to buy them than it would to just rent a place.

Ooh, a holiday sounds like fun!

I have not done much lone travelling. I went on a tour with a group for 10 days and it was nice not to have to worry about finding hotels or restaurants or do the driving. Leaders were very knowledgeable.

There are probably a few ways you could do a holiday in the UK - lots to do and see depending on your interests (seaside, art galleries, shows, villages/Lake District, Stratford/Shakespeare, Stonehenge...) Where would you like to go and what sort of things do you enjoy doing? Are you a beach resort person or a museum and history buff? Maybe you’d want to be in an area where you’d see birds or other wild animals? Would you want to shop for souvenirs or just soak up the atmosphere?

I’m sure you could head somewhere on your own. I would want to make sure that there is good, safe accommodation and local transportation; good eateries; depending on where you go and what you enjoy doing, maybe some local tours with small groups, or places that you can wander on your own.

*sigh!* Now I’m getting itchy feet! :)
Haha, this is wonderful, thank you! I love anywhere with nice views, I love the sea... so being near that would be cool. I think maybe staying in a city or town along the coast is best so that I have places nearby. Maybe? I'm not too picky, it'd be fun to explore a new place either way :)

I have seen some cheaper places on Airbnb but the place I was thinking of is fully booked. Are you looking for a home or a hotel? I personally don't like travel lodges if that's what they're called. I'm thinking places like hour away beaches or hour away peaks. The peaks aren't expensive by train. The beach towns I don't know...
Good luck!
Home or hotel I'm not fussed! The peaks could be interesting! It's quite exciting to look into different places, too!

Sending hugs

Em

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
I have saved money (ftom my minimum wage job)and flown to another state and stayed for 4 days.. It was worth it to see the ocean by myself. I went to a forest park, visited shops, stayed off my phone, relaxed by a waterfall. I love the ocean. I live in the desert so...it was 100% worth it. I was suffocated in the desert. Its Scary being alone somewhere unknown, st first, but ultimately wasnt bad. I would do it again asap if I had money.

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Sometimes campgrounds will have cabins or camping equipment that you can rent.

The home-stay rentals sound like a good option, especially if they have a kitchen you can use.
Ahh, that's good to know! Will look into it! Yeah, it'd be nice to cook for myself.

I have saved money (ftom my minimum wage job)and flown to another state and stayed for 4 days.. It was worth it to see the ocean by myself. I went to a forest park, visited shops, stayed off my phone, relaxed by a waterfall. I love the ocean. I live in the desert so...it was 100% worth it. I was suffocated in the desert. Its Scary being alone somewhere unknown, st first, but ultimately wasnt bad. I would do it again asap if I had money.
This is awesome to hear! I'm glad it was so good for you and it really motivates me to do it for myself too. Thank you for sharing! :)

Sending hugs

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00