• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

FACEBOOK..in a world of make believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Invisible

After participating in "facebook" the network for friends, for a few years. It began to eat away at my soul. I've never been one for validation but in the FB community validation revolves around this superficial being. I'm not talking about just updates in word forms but it's pictures galore. Not the usual cordial pictures, but filtered pics with overly happy, seductive, or downright raunchy people in oddly happy situations 24/7. Realistic? No. And those stories? Geez I though I was reading a children's Disney G rated movie with an ever happy ending. Come on people, take off your masks, society and your own face/family masks to just be real. Flaws and all! No one is perfect and the sooner u realize this, the sooner you open yourself to sharing your true self to everyone. After all no one likes fakes, and
eventually makeup melts, fat comes back, and gravity happens. So don't hide from the real you, be a role model for your kids and the next generation because growing old gracefully is beautiful, running from it produces an old essential that eventually looks worse than it should have. Take my advice don't run from age, take it all gracefully. Be proud of who you are, flaws and all..your perfect the way you are.

dugga

Hi Miss Invisible, I was thinking about that myself - I have close to a thousand alleged Facebook "friends" and "followers" mostly related to my business but I don't think one of them could care a less if I threw myself under a bus tomorrow. Too busy big-noting themselves or whining about something.

Miss Invisible

Hey Dugga,
I agree, Facebook is a me,me,me site. Where people go to aquire a certain amount of "friends", real friends? Nah. Gossiping people that remind me of HS. I don't need to brag about my life, get likes, or show pictures of my accomplishments just for a cyber pat on the back. I live my life to fullest. There's no need for validation. That's how the strong perservere. Keep your held up high and don't let others bring you down. You are just as worthy as they are!

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yep. But people are so self centered and vain those days carrying the phone snapping picture every single pose or mile I always wondered through those dazzling smiles how much time did they waste taking pictures, arguing what to post and everyone giving the photo taker their phones to take pictures.

I never believed in Ray Bradbury's book I read when I was in grade school... Fahrenheit 451.

I never believed humans would be that self centered and shallow. Its happening now decades later after I read it now I am a believer of his book. He did warn us years before this happpened

Unknown_111

Forum Buddy
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Facebook is apart of everyday life as very one wants to know what others are doing. Facebook can be used in both a positive and harmful way.

It allows YOU to become successful one day and can destroy you on another day. You should think if Facebook was not invented would your life be more enriched or your knowledge of the world be increased.

Some may say Facebook has destroyed the old fashioned method of social communication. A simple hello or facial smile by the expression of a emojo symbol.

Facebook is always going to be here but people need to realise that it's not a way of life but just a communication tool like email.

Same applies to Instagram , Snap chat, Pinterest and twitter.

Unknown_111

Forum Buddy
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've enjoyed reading these posts! I don't have and never will have Facebook! You all just reminded me that I'm happy with that choice! Each to their own though.... :)
I jokingly going to say your failed as you used an emojo. :( I just failed as well... After all that.

It's proves one thing which all derive from chimps. One day I will learn to swing from tree branch to tree branch. But again that's dependant if there is any trees left to swing or will human greed dispose of this wishful thinking??

Thought provoking??

DrownedFishOnFire

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Ha... I was there when tickle, myspace, ringo was popular.... I am sure due to the addiction facebook will be replaced by something new if FB ever crashes and burn.

cymbele

SF Supporter
I like Facebook - I like seeing other people's kids and keeping in touch with family pictures and vacations. Of course I only have about 75 friends but I think many would be concerned if something bad happened to me. I only post good things - upbeat and non-personal - vacations and hikes. Last time I posted I was lonely -the only time I ever have - a nephew called from across the country to make sure I wasn't too lonely - this was before the suicidal urges. So it has its purposes.

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Ha... I was there when tickle, myspace, ringo was popular.... I am sure due to the addiction facebook will be replaced by something new if FB ever crashes and burn.
I guess you liked friends reunited too!! :):)

DrownedFishOnFire

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I guess you liked friends reunited too!! :):)
Lol its sometimes much easier to have a FB account for networking purpose or a question. I don't want to have 300 cell phone nbrs on my phone and call random people here or there haha and keep in touch with family members

Right now I'm starting to focus on hobby related FB groups and I unfollowed so mamy people I just go to the hobby related ones and just answer or ask if needed when I am on FB

Kira

•✮• Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
Admin
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Lol its sometimes much easier to have a FB account for networking purpose or a question. I don't want to have 300 cell phone nbrs on my phone and call random people here or there haha and keep in touch with family members

Right now I'm starting to focus on hobby related FB groups and I unfollowed so mamy people I just go to the hobby related ones and just answer or ask if needed when I am on FB
Just a silly question ('cause I'm not a social networker) do people get offended when you unlike them? Something I've always wondered...

nobodyknows71

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter

I'm on FB too but it's irritating the life out of me!! I never give out my number to ANYONE!! Including family. Not 'friends' with any of them!! Lol. Don't even know what fb groups I would want to follow!!

DrownedFishOnFire

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Just a silly question ('cause I'm not a social networker) do people get offended when you unlike them? Something I've always wondered...
Actually...they don't know you unfollowed them but are still friends meaning I don't have to see their postings ever on my newsfeeds but is still on my friend list if that makes any sense?

DrownedFishOnFire

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'm on FB too but it's irritating the life out of me!! I never give out my number to ANYONE!! Including family. Not 'friends' with any of them!! Lol. Don't even know what fb groups I would want to follow!!
Haha yea I totally understand as not all of my family has my nbr. Its funny you mentioned this 99% of the cell phone contacts on my list only can text me but they don't know my true nbr to talk to me personally via Video Relay which is a service for the deaf people to be able to have a normal converstation over the phone

Kira

•✮• Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
Admin
SF Artist
SF Supporter
They don't know you've unlinked/unfollowed them!!
Thanks @nobodyknows71!

SF is the only social media network I belong to. I have enough trouble keeping up on here let alone another site like FB or others. If I was on FB also, I'd have no hours left in the day.

I remember many years back, most of my family was on FB and it caused sooo many problems! People would get offended if not enough people "liked" something they posted or people would start blocking each other etc... That's why I always stayed off. My defence was "Well, Im not on Facebook, but if I was I would have 'liked' it"!! It was all too much trouble. I've thought about starting a FB account but it would have to be under a fake name and no family could ever know. Isn't that sad? Anyway... good luck to those of you on it and find the positives.... because I'm sure there are many positives too!

nobodyknows71

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Haha yea I totally understand as not all of my family has my nbr. Its funny you mentioned this 99% of the cell phone contacts on my list only can text me but they don't know my true nbr to talk to me personally via Video Relay which is a service for the deaf people to be able to have a normal converstation over the phone
NONE of my familyhave my number, and that's how I like it!! I heard somewhere once.... if you wouldn't but them a drink in a pub, then they ain't worth your time! I agree completely.
But I guess you can't choose your family! Trust me I've tried!! :D

Kira

•✮• Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
Admin
SF Artist
SF Supporter
NONE of my familyhave my number, and that's how I like it!! I heard somewhere once.... if you wouldn't but them a drink in a pub, then they ain't worth your time! I agree completely.
But I guess you can't choose your family! Trust me I've tried!! :D
I used to secretly wish I was adopted! Isn't that sad?!?! But if you were in my shoes you'd have wished the same! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$260.00
Goal
$255.00