Failed again, so quitting one thing

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by AlaskanIce, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlaskanIce

AlaskanIce Active Member

I tried staying positive about finding a counselor/psychologist (or is it psychiatrist? still get those two confused) and did try. Went to a 5th person and was not liking it. Doing it 5 times was hard enough for me, having a social phobia. The saddest part is that the knowledge of having a social phobia doesn't help in the slightest.

I really cannot see myself trying a 6th time. I'm expecting to not like the 6th person and on as the first 5 haven't worked out. Or maybe the places will turn me away (one place, not counted among the 5 did) since I'm too screwed up for any help anyways. Or maybe I'm just not comfortable with anyone... I'm just one big lump of a screw-up.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Or maybe that one place just does not have the skills it takes to help you hun that all. It is their failure not yours Sometimes it take awhile to find the right connection to a person that you feel with help you hugs

Psychiatrist is a doctor that can prescribe medication
    Psychologist give therapy CBT DBT etc to help your mind change the way it sees things
  3. crystalclear

crystalclear Well-Known Member

Every Psychologist/Counselor has a different method on how to help their patient. You just have to find the right method and the right professional to help you. 5th and 6th times doesn't mean that you're incurable or "too screwed up" it just mean you haven't found the right Psychologist/counselor. Just keep looking for the professional that would be in sync with your needs. I hope you find that person. Remember YOU. ARE. NOT. TOO. SCREWED. UP.
  4. DarkLordVader

DarkLordVader Well-Known Member

could there be a alternative office you might be able to seek help from?
  5. AlaskanIce

AlaskanIce Active Member

@total eclipse: Not sure if a psychologist would be for me... I can't change, and don't believe people can change. And I hated CBT and the therapist who had me try. I have enough homework to deal with without someone else piling on more. And mindfulness? Hated that part of CBT most of all. I forget what DBT is...

@crystalclear: I'm worried that I'll cycle through all of them and still have nothing. I never really have anything work out well for me. For example, I got a tiny rock chip on my windshield. Did everything right, taped it up immediately and got it fixed two days later. The 'fixed' part has since been spreading and is now over 2 feet (US measurements) and still spreading; going up diagonally from lower driver's side to upper passenger's side. People tell me in amazement that there is always a risk of that happening but have never seen it. Brand new windshield too, got it late March/Early April. I have the worst luck with everything so never really expect anything good to come from anything I try.

@DarknessWithin: What is an alternative office?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.