Family Understanding

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beautiful Hope, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beautiful Hope

Beautiful Hope Active Member

Yesterday, I posted a status on Facebook about the pros & cons of having a fake, white Christmas tree & none other. My brother-in-law got annoyed & decided to voice his opinion about how he thinks I'm too negative & that I just need to be more positive & post status updates about what I'm thankful for & not things I'm unhappy about. He thinks that if I "think positive" I'll just suddenly be happier… A very similar way my parents think. His messages shattered me. He means a lot to me… He's family. He's my husbands only brother & his best friend. That makes him mean even more to me. He hurt me so deeply & I don't know what I've ever done to him to make him be so mean to me. This isn't the first time he's been rude but he was more so this time than any other. And on top of it, my husband took my side & told his brother to "shut to F up" & that he's tired of him treating me like sh*t. He then told him that unless he stops acting like an a**hole to not talk to him. I would never want to cause trouble between my husband & his family. They mean a great deal to him & to me. So I don't know what to do to fix this… I've done nothing to him. He's never been like this in person. He's always nice & smiling… but just as soon as he gets on Facebook, he decides that he can speak to me however he wants… Like I'm the cause for him being unhappy or something. Can anyone give me some advice on how to handle this situation?? I don't know how to handle this. I've never been in a situation like this before.

2. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i can't give you any advice, as A, i don't use social media sites, and B, me and my family stopped talking ages ago- i think for me, what's sad, is that your parents, the people you are meant to come too with problems, are meant to understand you and look out for you, support you when you need them most, actually can't do any of that- they are totally the oppositte of that. sure i still live with my parents, but that's only because my brother is the only person supporting me at the moment (with the wheelchair he's helping with, mainly) without him, i'd be totally stuck

good luck..

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Your brother-in-law shouldn't treat you that way, especially if he truly doesn't understand what you are going through. You could try talking to him about how he makes you feel, and if that doesn't work, then maybe limit contact until he learns how to treat you better. You aren't creating a rift between them, your husband is just sticking up for you because he cares about you. I'm sorry you feel so hurt by this, but remember that you aren't the one to blame.

4. BlackKitty

BlackKitty Active Member

Yeah, your brother in-law doesn't understand. My brother and most of my family doesn't understand my depression. My brother has told me more than once to "Quit having a bad attitude" I've gotten to the point that I just don't tell my family that anything negative is happening in my life. I know that's not healthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.