Fear of

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Marathon-Running-Bunny, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know this is going to be an extremely embarrassing issue for me if I were to reveal my thoughts to my professor who is a clinical psychologist. I am currently a freshman student pursuing a major in Psychology in Counselling.

I have a fear of dying from my asthma attack every night I sleep. This fear has already disrupted my sleep almost every night until up to a point where I have only slept peacefully for 1 hour. This made me so sleepy in class and I am unable to concentrate in anything taught in class due to this fear. The minute my head touch the pillow, a while later my heart will start to pound so hard and I will be shaking with fear because I am so breathless until I feel that I am going to die from my asthma anytime in my sleep and I am helpless about it. This helplessness made me even more fearful.

I am seeing a hospital's senior psychologist, who is not my professor in May. Hopefully, I can address my fear soon and do something about it before I go nuts soon.

I can't tell someone whom I know about my embarrassing issue. Please don't ask me to talk to my professor. I just don't have the courage to do it. I have just seen the psychiatrist and he referred me to see a psychologist because I have requested for psychodynamic and holistic therapy. I have turned down the doctor's offer for prescribing me some Serotonin medication. I don't like the side effects of any psychotropic medications and in case you don't know, I have so many asthma medications - ranging from the normal blue inhaler, the purple inhaler, the prednisolone tablets, the theophylline tablets, montelukast tablets, nebuliser solution and more tablets for my asthma (singapore has got this haze issue again). I have lots of asthma medications until I can open my own pharmacy just to cater to asthmatics already!!

I don't want to live my life just taking medications! I am a marathoner and I want to stay medication free.
  2. PinkiePieInTheSky

PinkiePieInTheSky Well-Known Member

Congratulations of having the courage to tell us about your fear.

It isn't silly at all. I've worried about dying in my sleep before, and I don't have any medical conditions; it is very understandable that you feel the fear you are feeling.

If you decide to tell your professor, you could just copy your post and have it sent to him indirectly, so you don't have to tell him face to face.
  3. I have watched too much youtube videos and read too many news on asthmatics dying in sleep.

I am so scared until I have not been sleeping well for almost more than 6 months already.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.