Feb 9th Cookoff!

DouglasW

SF Supporter
Hey so in past I've tossed out idea of a cooking club, but never got traction because I'm too lazy to organize.

We will do a cooking day on Saturday, February 9th. People can cook anything they like and share the results and recipes here.

If you're planning to join, add a comment and reminder of your timezone if you like.

Also feel free to post recipes in advance, maybe inspire others.

I plan to make saag paneer, which is an Indian dish based on spinach, with onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, and yogurt (and other spices). I usually dig up an internet recipe to remind myself the options, will post one before the day.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
I love this! Assuming something doesn't get in the way, count me in. I really like reading people's recipes. Don't be expecting any instagram worthy food photography from my end though lol.

Bloop

River Lea by Adele
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
It's a shame I'm not at home on the 9th, I would have loved to join in. Great idea and I'll be popping in to see everyones lovely pictures.

DouglasW

SF Supporter
Hmm so everyone involved messed up and never posted lol

I cooked my saag a day late. Pics coming shortly. I improvised the recipe slightly with what I had on hand, never got any paneer cheese. My dish consisted of onion, garlic, ginger, sauteed in turmeric, cayenne, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, and salt, then added pureed spinach and fresh rainbow chard. And yogurt.

I think I didn't sauté the aromatics long enough. Have lots of leftovers and think I will slow cook them to see if things blend a bit better. But it was nutritious and not too bad!

ravens

SF Supporter
As per request:

Baked sweet cajun chicken and veggies:

Sauce: store bought cajun sauce, marmalade, honey, water. Use the ratio you think works best be careful can get strong easily. You may not even need water or only a very tiny amount. Blend this together then add some parcly and rosemary after blended.

Chicken breast: few hours or day before cooking put the sauce in a large plastic bag with chicken to marinate and leave in fridge mixing sauce around once in a while. If the chicken is fresh great, if the chicken is frozen you may need to defrost in microwave a tiny bit.

Preheat oven to 425 F. Put tin foil over pan and spray with non stick. Take chicken out of marinated bag and put on tray and in oven for 25-30 mins.

Veggies: I used green pepper red pepper and zucchini.cut up into small ish slices. I used the same sauce as the chicken and put in a deep dish tray. You only need a small amount of sauce don't drown it. I also added salt and pepper on top. Put in oven again 425 for 25-30 mins. If there is too much sauce when you take out you can strain it out because it will have soaked into the veggies.

Enjoy!

Mahal

SF Supporter
Hmm so everyone involved messed up and never posted lol

I cooked my saag a day late. Pics coming shortly. I improvised the recipe slightly with what I had on hand, never got any paneer cheese. My dish consisted of onion, garlic, ginger, sauteed in turmeric, cayenne, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, and salt, then added pureed spinach and fresh rainbow chard. And yogurt.

I think I didn't sauté the aromatics long enough. Have lots of leftovers and think I will slow cook them to see if things blend a bit better. But it was nutritious and not too bad!
I just found this post and didn't know this was going on. I would definitely participate in another one. I love to cook. I'm not a professional chef but love to have fun with presentation.

Mahal

SF Supporter
As per request:

Baked sweet cajun chicken and veggies:

Sauce: store bought cajun sauce, marmalade, honey, water. Use the ratio you think works best be careful can get strong easily. You may not even need water or only a very tiny amount. Blend this together then add some parcly and rosemary after blended.

Chicken breast: few hours or day before cooking put the sauce in a large plastic bag with chicken to marinate and leave in fridge mixing sauce around once in a while. If the chicken is fresh great, if the chicken is frozen you may need to defrost in microwave a tiny bit.

Preheat oven to 425 F. Put tin foil over pan and spray with non stick. Take chicken out of marinated bag and put on tray and in oven for 25-30 mins.

Veggies: I used green pepper red pepper and zucchini.cut up into small ish slices. I used the same sauce as the chicken and put in a deep dish tray. You only need a small amount of sauce don't drown it. I also added salt and pepper on top. Put in oven again 425 for 25-30 mins. If there is too much sauce when you take out you can strain it out because it will have soaked into the veggies.

Enjoy!
Sounds awesome. I really love the concept of contrasting flavors like sweet and spicy.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I don't do much cooking anymore but I love to cook yes an old man like me loves to cook. my daughter insited I make my chili for her reception and I have to make a mild and my regular which definitely isn't mild lol. and my family has been begging me to make my Mexican eggrolls again, I don't like making them because I don't like how they come out but my family loves them for some reason but it's a lot of work I make 100 at a time.

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I completely forgot about this, but I'll tell you what I cooked anyway. I had had an unhealthy week so I decided to cook a low calorie, but very yummy, vegetable stew.

Ingredients: 2 onions, a pepper, a courgette (zucchini), 2 large tomatoes, a handful of mushrooms, baby spinach, a jar of tomato sauce, 2 cloves of garlic, a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, fresh basil and thyme (or dried if you don't have fresh) and a glug of olive oil.

Method: Chop the onions, pepper and courgette into fairly large pieces and cut the tomatoes and mushrooms into quarters (unless the mushrooms are small, in which case half them) Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, then add the onion & stir. After a couple of minutes add the pepper & mushrooms. Keep stirring often. When the mushrooms start to brown a little, add the courgette, the garlic (crushed) and then the tomatoes. Stir occasionally for a couple of minutes. Add the tomato sauce and the beans and stir, before adding the spinach and herbs. Leave to simmer over a low heat for 20-30 minutes. You can substitute /add vegetables, depending on what you have available.

I had it on its own, but it's really nice with Cheddar or Parmesan cheese grated on the top and served with some lovely, crusty bread and butter.

Mahal

SF Supporter
I completely forgot about this, but I'll tell you what I cooked anyway. I had had an unhealthy week so I decided to cook a low calorie, but very yummy, vegetable stew.

Ingredients: 2 onions, a pepper, a courgette (zucchini), 2 large tomatoes, a handful of mushrooms, baby spinach, a jar of tomato sauce, 2 cloves of garlic, a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, fresh basil and thyme (or dried if you don't have fresh) and a glug of olive oil.

Method: Chop the onions, pepper and courgette into fairly large pieces and cut the tomatoes and mushrooms into quarters (unless the mushrooms are small, in which case half them) Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, then add the onion & stir. After a couple of minutes add the pepper & mushrooms. Keep stirring often. When the mushrooms start to brown a little, add the courgette, the garlic (crushed) and then the tomatoes. Stir occasionally for a couple of minutes. Add the tomato sauce and the beans and stir, before adding the spinach and herbs. Leave to simmer over a low heat for 20-30 minutes. You can substitute /add vegetables, depending on what you have available.

I had it on its own, but it's really nice with Cheddar or Parmesan cheese grated on the top and served with some lovely, crusty bread and butter.
@Woowoo, you use all the ingredients I absolutely love, especially basil. Alot of people use cilantro but I always substitute basil for cilantro. I will take a double helping of cheese please. Thanks for the recipe.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Darn! I was supposed to post on the 9th! I did a very nice beef stew!

Ingredients
2 lbs of good cut of beef, cut into medium-small pieces
2 small-mediums onions, coarsely chopped
1 small garlic clove, finely diced
1/2 cup of red/yellow/orange pepper, coarsely chopped
1.5 cups coarsely chopped carrots
2-3 celery stalks chopped
1 cup frozen or fresh tender green peas
1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen or canned, drained)
2-3 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
1 to 1/5 cups of turnip, coarsely chopped
2 parsnips, coarsely chopped
5 medium size white mushrooms (or cremini if you like), sliced
Poultry seasoning to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
2 tbsp of alcohol (cooking sherry, red wine would be fine)
Browning liquid (usually a veggie extract gravy browner) - amount will vary - make sure you’re not “flavouring” too
1 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup flour
Optional: other green veggie you like and want to add (I used about 10 slender stalks of asparagus and 3 brussel sprouts finely sliced); cook to just tender and set aside.

Put the meat in a LARGE pot with enough cold water to just a bit more than cover; heat to boiling then turn down to simmer while you do the next steps.

Sauté the onions and garlic, set aside. Sauté the mushrooms, set aside. Sauté the peppers, set aside.

Boil the potatoes, set aside.

Boil the various veggies - separately as they take different amounts of time to become a little tender. When a little tender, remove from heat. Drain some of the water from the veggies into the pot with the meat, and keep that pot simmering. Drain off the rest of the water from veggies and set them aside.

In a small pan, melt the butter (MELT it, don’t let it brown!). Remove it from heat. While the butter is still melted and warm/hot, slowly stir in a bit of flour to make a smooth paste. Add a bit more flour; the paste should get thicker. Add a bit more flour. Take some of the water from the simmering beef. SLOWLY stir it into the pan with the butter flour and stir until there are no lumps. Add more water from the beef, and stir. When you have added enough to make the flour mixture like a thick sauce, stir all of it into the pot with the beef and water. Stir like crazy, so that the beef broth becomes a smooth gravy for the stew.

Stir in the onions and garlic, keep simmering the beef. Stir in the peppers, carrots, celery, peas, corn, parsnips, turnips, optional veggie(s). Add the potatoes last.

Add browning liquid until you have a better colour than grey beef. ;) Continue simmering until veggies are at desired tenderness.

Serve with fresh bread and butter or with hot tea biscuits.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00