Feel like my mind is fading away.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by JustKindaThere, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

So for two years now I've had something called, "brain fog". Basically, this slows your thought processes down, impairs thinking and concentration, and makes you feel like you're living in a dream world. This came on suddenly for me one night, literally out of nowhere. I was feeling fine otherwise. Ever since I got it, my sleep's been majorly fucked up. I wake up a lot during the night, and have crazy, psychotic nightmares and dreams which feel like they're blending with my waking life. I've seen 3 different doctors about this, and all of them said it was caused by my mental health issues. But it's not going away, ever. It's permanently there and getting worse. I've reached the point where I feel like I'm going completely demented or psychotic and there's no way this could be caused by anxiety or depression.

I want to know if anybody here has suffered this. I'm dying here because it's ruining my life and my doctors and family won't help me. I really just don't know what the hell to do.
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Charlotte. Sorry to hear that your dreams are in your real life. I have similar nightmares but I try focus on each single day. I set simple goals each day and if I achieve them then brilliant but otherwise just look forward to the next day. There is nothing wrong in what your feel but the important thing to appreciate life. The important thing for you is to remain calm other if you keep dwelling on your thoughts, it will cause your own destruction. Do not fret now as you not the only one to experience such thoughts. Perhaps it's worth using the private diary function to write your own thoughts. Take care.
  3. JustKindaThere

I honestly feel like I'm losing my mind here.
  4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thanks for replying. Do not worry as you will be ok. We understand what you going through and hopefully that will be some comfort to you. The important thing is that you are safe.
  5. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

Chill. I think people here have dealt with so much that they know better than to get excited over someone serious. And they don't know who is serious because of trolls.

I don't think your dreams are permanent. I think you need to be on something at night. I'm not a physician so I'm not going to share what I'm on but there are options available.
  6. JustKindaThere

I'm pretty sure it's not normal to feel like you're losing your mind at 25.

I feel like there's a block in my brain, or some part of it isn't switched on. I can't think coherently. It's like I'm losing my personality, and I just feel like sitting here in a mindless stupor.
  7. turryburry

That's how my psychotic break happened at 45. Please see a doctor and get on some antidepressants at the very least. Perhaps an antipsychotic till your brain has evened out.
  8. JustKindaThere

I've been on anti depressants for a year now and they haven't done a thing, except make my foggy, demented mind feel even more foggy and demented.

And "psychotic break" is pretty much exactly how I'd describe what I'm feeling at this point. My thoughts are just...ASFKSKLASKOASMSLSMSKSSSMOALSS,AL,SAO,SASMKASMKAS,LM.N

My brain feels like it's only working at like, 20%.

This is how fucked up my mind is and how bad my memory is: a little while ago I got up to get something from my computer desk. By the time I'd walked to the desk I had forgotten exactly what it was that I wanted, so I just picked up the closest object to me and walked back to my bed. When I sat back down, I looked at what I'd picked up in my hand and realised I'd picked up the wrong item, and couldn't remember what I originally wanted. This probably sounds funny to some people but it happens to me constantly during the day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  9. HI Charlotte,

I just wanted to pipe in for a second and tell you that I really do understand the brain fog thing. I have depression too but I also have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and one of the symptoms of MS for many of us is brain fog. It's disabling. It ruins careers and lots of other things. So I just wanted you to know that I really, truly "get it". I've been like this for 3 1/2 years and I'm still learning how to adapt.

You and I have this problem for totally different reasons but you're not alone in how you're feeling about this issue. Unfortunately, my problem is not curable and is likely to get worse over time.

I don't know what your mental health issues are but am curious about something. Did your doctors literally say that your problems are a direct result of your mental health status? Did you give you any indication of how to make it better? Is it the medication you're taking doing this? I just feel like you should get a little more help from at least one of your doctors and if that isn't happening then you should really see a new doctor. Believe me, I know what a freaking pain it is to start over with a new doctor but this is destroying you and you shouldn't have to live like this if you absolutely do not have to.

Hang in there. I'm here for you if you want to talk. Any time, because I don't sleep much either. It's 3:45 am here and I haven't even tried to sleep yet. Just not tired.
  10. JustKindaThere

I've seen three different doctors about it over the last 2 years since it started, and all of them said it was caused by mental health issues. But I don't understand how they can just say it's mental, without running tests to rule out more serious things like MS.

I actually feel like my mind is fading. My personality feels different, I'm constantly exhausted, I have psychotic thoughts and dreams, I'm ALWAYS under anxiety. My doctors won't do anything, neither will my parents, and all the while I'm just sitting here, suffering, getting worse each week, being terrified, not knowing what's going on with my body...going insane...-_-
  11. I doubt it's MS unless you have other symptoms that could possibly relate to MS I'm no doctor but it seems to me that if you're having psychotic thoughts and dreams and are constantly anxious then your medication is not WORKING I thought people with mental health issues like took meds to stop those symptoms, not to cause them. Maybe you should go check yourself in and tell them you aren't leaving until someone helps you. Just tell them you're going to commit suicide and they'll keep you. I'm serious. I'm afraid for you and if no one is taking you seriously then I think you need to be a bit more forceful and "dramatic" I want you to get help. YOU want help and therefore someone should be giving it to you. Right? I'm assuming you have health insurance. Keep on hanging in there. Does watching tv or reading help distract you? Or do you have any hobbies?
  12. turryburry

I don't know where you live but if you go to the closest ER they can help you.
  13. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Have you seen a psycharist? Not a regular doc.
  14. JustKindaThere

I live far from any hospital, and I don't drive.

No. I need to though. Been trying to for like a year now. Current therapists that I see wouldn't refer me to one.
  15. JustKindaThere

I was on mirtazapine for a year but it was probably making my brain fog worse, so I just recently came off it.

I can't watch tv, read or do anything. I can't focus my mind on things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.