Forum Move

Discussion in 'Forum News & Updates' started by NYJmpMaster, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

SF will be changing our hosting sometime in the next week. We are changing the hosting to a managed server that has far more resources than the server we are currently on, 24/7 tech support, and so that when issues come up if we cannot fix them ourselves we can hire somebody if needed.

The end goal is to reduce/eliminate site crashes and site errors, more stable chat, and just a overall more hassle free for members. Unless some unforeseen problem arises prior to completing the move members should experience no issues except possibly of a short down period of a couple hours while DNS change takes effect which will be different amount of downtime in different areas. It is possible that some posts done immediately before the migration could be lost as well. Overall, there is nothing for members to be concerned about and if not for having read this most would never know it changed. The only thing that will change from the members perspective is those few members that use IP to get to SF will notice the IP changes.

When the exact date is set a follow-up will be posted to give warning of the possible down period.

5 people like this.
  2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Sounds like an excellent plan; a 24/7 support team, even one that might have to be hired to fix any errors on the site that cannot be fixed would be a huge boost for all members who log on in need on immediate support and feel comforted in the knowledge they can get through to someone without fear of the site crashing like it did last night.
    Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

3 people like this.
  3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

We know how incredibly important the site and the chat room are to the people who come here every day, in some cases to stay alive. We will try to make sure there there are as few issues as possible and that SF is here to help everyone stay safe.

4 people like this.
  4. Moat

Moat Banned Member

SF has changed since when I first signed up from a simple forum that I thought would be like any other, a place where like-minded people could converse and share advice with one another, to something more akin of a family, where every member, old and new, truly care for each other, though for most, we each are nothing more than nameless, faceless people hiding behind avatars and I think that is what has made SF the success it has become. As the years go on, I am sure that SF and the SF Community as a whole will continue to grow stronger and help change and preserve more lives.

3 people like this.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I just wanted to say that I like the new layout for the site. I like the large avatars and larger font, so my eyes are not blurry when I read (or maybe that's because I am getting old :p), and my computer is not freezing when I use the site now. Can't wait to check out the site when it goes to the other server.

5 people like this.
  6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Exactly the move is now done and things seem to be getting back to normal.

Thanks all for your patience and for making SF such a great site for all that come here to find an understanding person to hear them.